displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: locked ECU symptoms
puglover Banned!

Post #1
yup its me again with more electrical problems LOL

got all excited tonight and tried to fire her up but unfortunatly nothing fired surprise surprise.

The fuel pumps are working ive got fuel and it turns over but no fire.

Ive also got no stop light when turning the key which is ignition is it?? and no oil level reading.

I sent rich some ECUs i had spare and im abit paranoid ive sent him the wrong ECU.

Im going to check for spark tomorrow but im predicting not having one somehow. LOL

ive also changed the bitron box behind ecu amd checked everything is plugged in.

Nothing interior dash wise has been touched.

Is there anyway i can find out if the ECU is the wrong one from codes or something?

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 04:33
bininoz

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I had exactly the same problem on the way home from my last remap but mine happened whilst doing motorway speed LOL.
It could be a dodgy/dirty connection on the ecu chip or possibly the immboliser.
I had the chip cleaned up and ecu de-imobilised at the same time so dont know which one was causing the problem but its gone now.

Team High Boost Supercharged Gti-6

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 05:12
kezman7

Senior User

Post #3
I would say its locked yes. i have just had this problem althought i cant remember about the stop light, but pump buzzes and turnes over just no fire,
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 05:44
puglover Banned!

Post #4
im thinking its probably the ECU as well. Did you have same problem with the oil level and stop light bininpz?

I believe cam sensor and crank sensor could be faulty as well but i doubt it really.

Are there any checks i can do to find out?

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 13:33
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
I wouldnt say its locked as the fuel pump doesn't get power if it is.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 13:50
puglover Banned!

Post #6
are you 100 percent certain about that???

it could be the alternator as well i believe just need to work through it and find out why ive no oil level reading or stop light when turning the key
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 17:03
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
welshpug! wrote:
I wouldnt say its locked as the fuel pump doesn't get power if it is.

The fuel pump functions normally, even if the ECU is locked.

ie, you have power and fuel pressure.

I don't think the problem is your ECU - I reckon it's wiring, which is why you don't have the STOP light or oil level reading. Probably an earth or supply to the ECU.

By, the way, I hope you built up oil pressure etc BEFORE putting spark plugs in your new engine Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 17:11
puglover Banned!

Post #8
ive built up the oil pressure but spark plugs were in i think??

i cut the fuel off ages ago and primed the oil circuit if thats what you mean so it doesnt start on a oil less run.

Rich do you still get the stop light and oil level with a locked ECU.

Could just do with knowing what you do and dont get with a locked out ECU. thanks for the help anyway.

ill check all my earths later Smile
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 17:17
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
You get everything with a locked ECU, except a pulse on the injectors and coils [i.e. the ECU sets the coil on time and injector pulse as 0ms to stop it firing].

You should of turned the engine over without the plugs in to build up oil pressure, this way none of the bearings etc are under load/compression.

It's important particularly as your engine has been sat around for so long - and pretty much common sense / knowledge..

Contact Details:

07732 822546

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 17:17
puglover Banned!

Post #10
ok thanks rich so just to confirm

with locked ECU i should still get stop light and oil level reading?

Would an alternator problem cause me these problems, but like you say it does sound like a wiring issue though tbh

the spark plug issue is this so air can evacuate the chambers then? the bearings will be under load even without fire? Huh?

would have thought the valves would open to release pressure but then what do i know. Sad
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 17:24
puglover Banned!

Post #11
have replaced the crank sensor and checked the cam sensor has 5v to it. Everything seems perfectly earthed to me.

12v down at the alternator also.

Im lost. Sad

How do i check the spark then? take out coil pack and plug, push together and have something metallic on the electrode?
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 19:01
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Yes, you should get everything, even if the ECU is locked.

As for load on the bearings - even though there's no combustion, there's still pressure in the cylinders, and load on the bearings.

When you do a compression test, there's no combustion, but still pressure, isn't there?

It should be OK though.

As for the dash etc, does the oil pressure light come on or not? It should do, then go out as you turn it over.

Contact Details:

07732 822546

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 19:20
puglover Banned!

Post #13
now theres a point no it doesn't light up

just checked my pressure gauge is in the right place and the 2 green connectors are connected behind alternator.

I removed the blank behind the starter motor and fitted a sender for pressure gauge in there.

apart from that everything is untouched from when i got it back from nick to do with block sensors etc. I think he removed the blanking plug on the right for me as i said i wanted to fit a sender in there.
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 20:39
puglover Banned!

Post #14
i think i may have solved the problem.

Ive a spare block and so looked at the pressure switch on the block and noticed its a single pin switch, then looked at my engine and loom and whats plugged in has 2 wires an earth and something else.

On my car there is a spare connector around this area floating around doing nothing but the lug looks totally wrong type but is a single wire type sensor.

So looked at another loom i have lieing around and this has a different spare plug that would otherwise be floating around if put on the car and is a single wire type.

This fits the pressure switch on my spare block too as well as the 2 wire one like whats plugged plugged in on my engine at the moment.

Ive also noticed my cars loom has a different power steering hose connector on it to most but lucky i have the fluid pipes to match.

So do i need to cut the single wire connector off my spare loom and replace the connector on the wire thats floating about and plug that into the pressure switch instead??

Ive a strong feeling this could be whats wrong.

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 21:18
puglover Banned!

Post #15
problem solved phewww

thanks rich

now to fire her up Devil
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 21:41