displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: mysterious "plastic thing" on inlet manifold
arsenalrule2001uk

Post #1
Could anyone possibly suggest what my mechanic was referring to when he simply mentioned that something plastic on the inlet manifold had broken and he had glued back together. Was running like crap before with ticking and erratic idoling revs.

jollyjonboy
Posted 15th Sep 2009 at 21:11
pgti6

Junior User

Post #2
You've not given us much to go on, but it's possibly the Hermholz Resonator that he was referring to. It's the black plastic chamber you can see part of between the inlet runners.

They do tend to self destruct if the engine backfires & would contribute to rough running/idling due to the air leak created.

N5 XU10J4RS Road car
D60 XU9J4 Track car 120Kw atw
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 05:15
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I'd pretty much say it's the resonator too as it's hardly rocket science.

Did said mechanic offer any more info? Like pointing at it? Were you happy that he fixed it with glue? Sounds a demon with the spanners that one.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 05:27
arsenalrule2001uk

Post #4
thugpuggin wrote:
I'd pretty much say it's the resonator too as it's hardly rocket science.

Did said mechanic offer any more info? Like pointing at it? Were you happy that he fixed it with glue? Sounds a demon with the spanners that one.

It is to me! I dont exactly pull apart 306's in my spare time! All he said was he couldnt find a new one, obviously i'd prefer new components but if it works its all good!

jollyjonboy
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 20:47
gti-si

Regular

Post #5
Get rid....You don't want a glued one, it'll just go again, probably worse than the first time and cause you no end of trouble getting where your going. I've sold quite a few bung's recently to forum members to blank this off, so no doubt there are plenty secondhand one's available...

I'd get one, give it to your mechanic and have him fit it. Glueing it i a right bodge

1990 Cherry Red 205 Gti-6
2000 Mitsubishi Galant V6
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 20:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
it'll only go again if you get a backfire...

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 21:14
gypsyrover

Post #7
I realise this is an old thread but it may help someone. The hemholtz resonator hole can blanked off perfectly with a 40mm welch plug ( sometimes called a freeze plug ). the fix is permanent.

Paul Clothier
Posted 2nd May 2021 at 23:48