displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: My 306 tapping sound
sohcvtec

Post #1
I recently bought a 98 gti6 and there is a tapping noise coming from the car. The previous owner told me that its because he was doing work to the car and bent a vavle.How much would it cost to get this sorted. Any help much appreciated.
Posted 15th Sep 2009 at 02:18
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Loads and loads of threads on this, do a quick search and you will find all the answers Yes

Dont think it will be cheap, maybe under 1k if your lucky Doh

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Sep 2009 at 16:41
darrellspeed

Senior User

Post #3
pug1off said about

205 XU10J4RS by PUG1OFF 236.4 BHP at Northampton Motorsport.

Lets Race!
Posted 15th Sep 2009 at 18:45
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
sohcvtec wrote:
I recently bought a 98 gti6 and there is a tapping noise coming from the car. The previous owner told me that its because he was doing work to the car and bent a vavle.How much would it cost to get this sorted. Any help much appreciated.
If you not looking to do it yourself i reckon you'll pay between

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 15th Sep 2009 at 21:18
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Always worth speaking to Mech_repairs to find out what he can do in the way of a drive in drive out service for you, worth a shot Thumbs up

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 15th Sep 2009 at 21:38
jimmah

Regular

Post #6
I had the same problem, and a few more, until recently I decided to sort it myself.

Having limited mechanical experience, I recruited a mate to help me. We hae worked methodically through it, and in 2 days (don't laugh) we had the cylinder head off. (we managed it with the exhaust manifold on the head, don't attempt that)

Yesterday, we had a trip up to see carl in leicester, exchanged the sewing machine flavoured cylinder head for a quiet gti6 one, and bought a new radiator.

We reckon at our pace, 2-3 days to put it back together, and solve all the other problems the car has.

What I paid and what the price shows here may differ, but this is what you'll be looking to spend (maybe cheaper, i'm doing the cooling system too)

1998 (S) Phase 2 Diablo Red GTI-6
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 16:53
sohcvtec

Post #7
thanks for the posts guys, much appreciated.
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 00:21
ashcole

Post #8
get a head off a xsi 16v and put your cams ant re seat ya valves that way it would not cost as much to do it mate !!!!

ashcole
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 01:04