displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Bed in but very faint grinding noise
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hello all, I recently had the front & rear pads and discs changed. I made sure to use them lightly for the first 160 miles or so, then did the 60mph to 10mph last night. Then I made sure they cooled off properly and did a 20 minute motorway run.

Brakes after felt fairly good, and today seem spot on, but the problem is at low speeds (20mph) with the window down I can hear a sort of very faint metalic rubbing noise, seems to be from the rear. It sounds like the pads are in contact with the discs very slightly? Not sure how else to describe it.

I've done and search for rubbing/grinding/catching discs/pads but couldn't find anything.

Brakes are fine though and are responsive and sharp.

Could it maybe be pad residue from the hard braking last night catching? Had a look through the alloys and the discs seem fairly clean. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Racing driver, fighter pilot, astronaut, compulsive liar.
Posted 9th Sep 2009 at 22:33
rich-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
They arent retracting properly, The noise is there when theres a bit of shit on the disk but should go after a run down the road.

Whip the pads out, Grease the sliders and the edges of the pads where its in contact with the caliper with lithium grease, reasemble and you 'should' be ok.

Its just a shit design of caliper which has been out many moons and require a bit of fettling now and then, Mines exactly the same, Despite weighing less i still suffer with it rolling away on teh handbrake if its not in gear too Laugh

Cool

RIP Pete Sims
Posted 10th Sep 2009 at 01:01
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Cheers Rich. I'm hopefully going to Carl's next week for a few things, will get him to have a look.

Racing driver, fighter pilot, astronaut, compulsive liar.
Posted 10th Sep 2009 at 05:39