displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: 'clunking' from the front. Advice needed
cahillscornerflag

Senior User

Post #1
Hello chaps, firstly i've searched and searched and although there are plenty of topics on this already, i didn't really feel any of them specific to my problem.

I've developed a 'clunk' from the front.
Whenever i turn left under load or if i'm turning left to go up a hill (as if the car is flexing to get up a banking) there's a rather loud bang coming from what sounds like the front right wheel, i must add, this isn't at speed.

I've also started to develope a clunk, felt through the steering wheel and in the footwell, whilst under hard acceleration and braking. I've been under the car to have a good look and cant see anything obvious. All bolts were tight, droplinks seemed ok and bushes are fine. I'm pretty certain it isn't drive shaft related but i'm no mechanic.

Does anybody have any experience of this or something similar or does anybody have any suggestions as to what it could be exactly? it's driving me mental as I just had it running perfect prior to this!

Forgot to add, it's recently had new p-bushes fitted at carls, plus new shocks and eibach springs so it's lowered 25/30mm.

Any help would be grateful. Smile

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6 - Regretfully sold!
'89 Onyx Black 205 GTi 1.6

Posted 9th Sep 2009 at 01:24
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
+1 as im also after an answer, again droplinks were fine, check top strut mounts, mine were fine, my mechanic at home seemed to think it could easily be something like the ball joint, after a while its no longer "Ball" shaped, so its like a square trying move, it just clunks, mines only at low speed also, normally whilst turning to full lock, got the MOT in the morning, asking them to look at the clunk after its passed (funnily enough) so il let you know what i find if you havnt posted a cure! Big grin

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 9th Sep 2009 at 01:27
cahillscornerflag

Senior User

Post #3
oecken wrote:
+1 as im also after an answer, again droplinks were fine, check top strut mounts, mine were fine, my mechanic at home seemed to think it could easily be something like the ball joint, after a while its no longer "Ball" shaped, so its like a square trying move, it just clunks, mines only at low speed also, normally whilst turning to full lock, got the MOT in the morning, asking them to look at the clunk after its passed (funnily enough) so il let you know what i find if you havnt posted a cure! Big grin

Ok mate cheers.

I also forgot to add that the clunk noise isn't a repetitive noise, it only happens once.

Posted 9th Sep 2009 at 02:00
adamski_306

Regular

Post #4
oecken wrote:
it just clunks, mines only at low speed also, normally whilst turning to full lock

I had a very similar clunking when on full lock, turned out to be that one ot the springs had snapped, and one complete coil was just floating around in there doing sod all.
Posted 10th Sep 2009 at 18:33
cahillscornerflag

Senior User

Post #5
adamski_306 wrote:
oecken wrote:
it just clunks, mines only at low speed also, normally whilst turning to full lock

I had a very similar clunking when on full lock, turned out to be that one ot the springs had snapped, and one complete coil was just floating around in there doing sod all.

Defo not that mate, the eibachs are only 2 months old!
I'm also getting this when reversing now even at the slowest speed and turning ,one massive clunk from under the front of the car felt through the steering wheel. It's fine over bumps and still feels tight with no knocking whilst driving normally.
I'm going to jack it up this weekend and have another look, but I fear this could be expensive...

Unsure

Posted 10th Sep 2009 at 23:59
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Have you investigated your top engine mount? Or the cradle that it sits in? Both of these can crack without it being obvious
Posted 13th Sep 2009 at 06:59
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
yeah i agree with the above sounds like top mounts/craddle or bust spring. when you did the springs did you change the top mount bearings? these can crack badly if not changed

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
BMW 320 td compact M-sport
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 13th Sep 2009 at 07:43
paul_gti6_uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
This is most odd. I have exactly the same suspension setup and have what sounds like exactly the same knocking noise. I cant figure it out either.

My springs are fine, my top engine mount is fine too as it has had a plate welded in by Daveyboy.

I notice it on pull away on full lock or sometime it can just happen when turning the wheel.

I replaced everything up the front end suspension wise. My droplinks, wishbones, arb bushes, topmounts and balljoints are all only 10k miles old. The only thing I didnt replace when I uprated the suspension was the TREs. I guess this should be where I look first?

China Blue 306GTI-6 Big grin Ph3

Team Now Bikeless Sad
Posted 13th Sep 2009 at 16:43
cahillscornerflag

Senior User

Post #9
quote:
Have you investigated your top engine mount? Or the cradle that it sits in? Both of these can crack without it being obvious

Had a look this weekend and it all looked fine from what i could see.

quote:
This is most odd. I have exactly the same suspension setup and have what sounds like exactly the same knocking noise. I cant figure it out either.

My springs are fine, my top engine mount is fine too as it has had a plate welded in by Daveyboy.

I notice it on pull away on full lock or sometime it can just happen when turning the wheel.

I replaced everything up the front end suspension wise. My droplinks, wishbones, arb bushes, topmounts and balljoints are all only 10k miles old. The only thing I didnt replace when I uprated the suspension was the TREs. I guess this should be where I look first?

TREs are a good shout as these haven't been replaced. Could they be the cause of the clunking sound though? Hmm

Posted 15th Sep 2009 at 00:15
jpmatrix

Senior User

Post #10
I have been suffering from a clunking sound coming from the suspension only when turning left.

It has been doing my head in for nearly a month.

Previous owner had replaced both front springs and dampers.

I replaced both lower ball joints, TRE's, P-bushes and top mounts. Basically replacing everything and this nocking was still there.

But finally located what the noise was and it was coming from the drivers side front wishbone bush. Basically it wasnt tightened up enough.

So check your wishbone front bushes (not the p-bushes) and make sure the bolt is tight.

Posted 15th Sep 2009 at 01:30
cahillscornerflag

Senior User

Post #11
jpmatrix wrote:
I have been suffering from a clunking sound coming from the suspension only when turning left.

It has been doing my head in for nearly a month.

Previous owner had replaced both front springs and dampers.

I replaced both lower ball joints, TRE's, P-bushes and top mounts. Basically replacing everything and this nocking was still there.

But finally located what the noise was and it was coming from the drivers side front wishbone bush. Basically it wasnt tightened up enough.

So check your wishbone front bushes (not the p-bushes) and make sure the bolt is tight.

Will do mate Thumbs up

Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 00:03