displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Suspect HEADGASKET! HUGE SMOKE BANDIT!!!
xsi-in-stealth

Junior User

Post #1
HELP!!!! Was given a 306 sadly not a 6 just a 1.6, noticed that the car has no response (or lack of when putting foot down and I know they're not quick but feels like I'm driving a non turbo diesel! I replaced the standard backbox like for like and it improved a little bit but was giving it a bit yesterday to see if the ecu reset I did would make any difference and I was in 3rd gear doing about 55 and the car sounded a bit rough (a bit more than a 1.6 usually sounds!lol)and all of a sudden it struggled a bit and then let out this huge cloud of smoke covering the whole 3 lanes of the dual carriage way! I instantly thought shit my headgasket has gone as I knew I had an slight oil leak already, (but am now loosing oil quite quickly), so I drove slowly for a good few minutes and it completely cleared up and when I revved up nothing came out?! Does anyone have any ideas on the smoke sittuation I'm gathering loss of power could be down to low oil pressure also the Engine Management light flashes up every 5mins or so and I know that could be emissions or anything mechanical and should get it diagnossed but just don't have the money to take it down to the garage! Many thanks chris

16V-XSi
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 23:34
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Oh dear! And does it still have oil in it? Sounds more than a head gasket to me.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 23:49
xsi-in-stealth

Junior User

Post #3
not much oil at all! spoke to my dad and he said the possibilty of piston rings or valve...

Looks to me like a majority of the oil is coming out of the N/s(right side if your head on) of the engine. cheers, chris

16V-XSi
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 23:54
xsi-in-stealth

Junior User

Post #4
Anyone else have any ideas drives fairly smoothe no sign of oil light. I'm worried that it'll be major work, and don't have a scooby doo!

16V-XSi
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 01:31
xsi-in-stealth

Junior User

Post #5
any help appreciated, its up for sale on ebay justincase its a no hoper! ;(

16V-XSi
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 18:33
itchytrigafinga

Senior User

Post #6
If it was a headgasket fail the car would be overheating i should think.

And if you look inside the oil filler cap there would be a lot of "mayoniase" where the oil has mixed with the water.

To me it sounds more like a piston ring fail, either way it would easier just to drop a replacement 1.6 lump in there, or sell it sold as seen in your case.
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 19:04
xsi-in-stealth

Junior User

Post #7
yeah its on ebay but if it doesnt sell i might have a go at an engine replacement.

16V-XSi
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 19:07