displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: 18mm ball joint replacement
lars

Post #1
Hi, I've just attempted to replace one of the ball joints on my 306. It previously had 16mm ball joints, but due to a mishap with the casting of the hub I've now got a new hub that requires an 18mm pin. Is it normal for the fit of these ball joints to be so tight it needs to be bashed in with a hammer? I just dont fell that comfortable hitting what I know is a brittle casting with the sort of force it seems this ball joint requires...
Posted 5th Sep 2009 at 21:56
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
If it's lined up properly, it should only need a tap. I just tap them in with a rubber mallet.

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 5th Sep 2009 at 22:34
rich-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Remove the balljoint from the wishbone, Fit the balljoint then reattatch it all together, You shouldnt have a problem.

Like Cress says just needs a tap

Cool

RIP Pete Sims
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 01:01
abergavenny_306gti6

Regular

Post #4
put some grease on first . . . .
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 06:56
smithers

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Also helps if you push the hub in towards the engine slightly it should slip in nicely Whistle Thumbs up

1997 Black GTi6
smithers205 at hotmail.com
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 15:07
lars

Post #6
I've got the whole hub off the car and fixed in a vice. A brand new ball joint from CAS and the hole and the pin of the ball joint covered in generous amounts of copper ease. Managed to get it in, however I did have to pry the hub open by hitting an 8mm flathead screwdriver into the slot. And I mean hitting it in with a hammer, pushing it by hand was not enough. Even then I had to tap the ball joint in to get it deep enough. This french equivalency of engineering is really doing my nut in.
Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 20:18