4, Superchargedblack1997gti6
5, martinh (price dependant)
6, Snooks
7, rallye1999
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 23:30
x69 rgg

Senior User

Post #28
might as well post this here first to see if anyone knows. im running the mintex 1144's (rally design) in my wilwood midilites. anyone else using welly's wilwood conversion who doesnt get any brake squeal?

there must be a pad they supply for these calipers that doesnt burst ear drums?

gotta change mine as they are not at all suitable for road use or the journeys i do. may keep them for occasional track use but need something beter for the road.

cheers Smile

"I need to 're-mortgage' my six"

Posted 19th Sep 2009 at 03:55
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
f*ck I was hoping that moving to 1144s would stop the squeel. If you want to sell your pads give me a shout.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 19th Sep 2009 at 04:07
rapidcossie

Regular

Post #30
5mm and 10mm spacers are avail from halfords
Posted 19th Sep 2009 at 04:07
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
rapidcossie wrote:
5mm and 10mm spacers are avail from halfords

But hubcentric ones are a little more scarce. I personally wouldn't go near non hubcentric ones.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 19th Sep 2009 at 04:08
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
x69 rgg wrote:
might as well post this here first to see if anyone knows. im running the mintex 1144's (rally design) in my wilwood midilites. anyone else using welly's wilwood conversion who doesnt get any brake squeal?

gotta change mine as they are not at all suitable for road use or the journeys i do. may keep them for occasional track use but need something beter for the road.

cheers Smile

You need some alloy bells with your disc mate. You'll not stop the squealing any other way.

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 19th Sep 2009 at 04:50
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Some big chunks missing out of the disc'll do it....

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 19th Sep 2009 at 04:50
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
phillipm wrote:
Some big chunks missing out of the disc'll do it....

Home crossed drilled discs it is thenWhistle

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 19th Sep 2009 at 04:52
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Leave me your calipers in your will

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 19th Sep 2009 at 04:57
x69 rgg

Senior User

Post #36
smegal wrote:
f*ck I was hoping that moving to 1144s would stop the squeel. If you want to sell your pads give me a shout.

will do mate. Thumbs up

Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 00:03
x69 rgg

Senior User

Post #37
SteviePut wrote:
x69 rgg wrote:

cheers Smile

You need some alloy bells with your disc mate. You'll not stop the squealing any other way.

how would alloy bells help?

you sure? there must someone out there running wilwoods whose brakes dont squeal. Dunno

Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 00:07
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
x69 rgg wrote:
SteviePut wrote:
x69 rgg wrote:

cheers Smile

how would alloy bells help?

you sure? there must someone out there running wilwoods whose brakes dont squeal. Dunno

I'm only going on what Rich W told me. His used to squeal badly when fitted with a solid cast disc. He's now running one of Ash's kits which includes alloy bells and they don't squeal at all. Perhaps drop him a PM??

Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 00:12
x69 rgg

Senior User

Post #39
ive gotta see him at some point about my ecu. i'll ask him then. just seems weird that no one else has mentioned it when there are 10+ kits out there.

even if they quieten down when hot and all the pad apps for the midilites are the same i cant rape it round town and my local villages. its everytime i brake. bumper to bumper in traffic makes my ears bleed! Crazy

Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 00:30
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
They break up the harmonic waves that build up in the disc.

Anyone tried some anti-squeal shims behind the pads?

Email me!
Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 00:48
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
phillipm wrote:

Anyone tried some anti-squeal shims behind the pads?

The Wilwoods have some sort of "patented" anti squeal shims in them Phil. They don't work thoLOL

TBH the squealing doesn't bother me too much. Saying that I hardly drive the thing. I've not even set eyes on it for 2 weeks.

Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 00:53
x69 rgg

Senior User

Post #42
phillipm wrote:

cheers phil. as for the shims, as steve said i thought they has them built in. little disappointing they dont work that well. unless someone is using a pad that doesnt squeal i might look into some bells if i can find some. Smile

Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 01:18
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
They have stainless shims as part of the pad guide that apply pressure to the edge of the pads - don't read too much into the bumph, it's more to stop pad rattle than squeal - but the polymer backing pads you can get have some damping effect too.

Email me!
Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 07:10
x69 rgg

Senior User

Post #44
phillipm wrote:
They have stainless shims as part of the pad guide that apply pressure to the edge of the pads - don't read too much into the bumph, it's more to stop pad rattle than squeal - but the polymer backing pads you can get have some damping effect too.

might look into them. would save me forking out for new discs/bells. which seem impossible to find anyway.

Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 17:30
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
clicky

Email me!
Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 17:43
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
phillipm wrote:

think ill buy davey boy some of those for xmas LOL
Posted 20th Sep 2009 at 20:27
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
chris with a pug wrote:
phillipm wrote:

think ill buy davey boy some of those for xmas LOL

Nooooooooooooo!! Who would I be able to compete with in the "Who's got the squeakiest brakes" competition at the next Pug run??

Posted 21st Sep 2009 at 01:36
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Just turn your brake pads inside out...

Email me!
Posted 21st Sep 2009 at 02:03
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
phillipm wrote:
Just turn your brake pads inside out...

Will that make them last longer? Also will the heat rating be the same?

Posted 21st Sep 2009 at 02:08
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
Well, they'll certainly make some heat.

Email me!
Posted 21st Sep 2009 at 02:09

Pages (5): 1 [2] 3 .. last