displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: rear wheel camber
jamie192

Regular

Post #1
Had my car up on the ramps the other day and when stood at the back of my car looking at the wheels they were like this / | .

If that makes sense, the left hand side was pointing outwards and the right hand side was very slightly pointing inwards, now we noticed the rear beam mount on the left has given up the go but would this cause the wheels to be like that? or is it something else?

Sorry if this has been coverd before but i cant find it Sad

cheers all

Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 05:05
davidmartin

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Beam bearings more than likley mate.

pet hate, the cat
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 05:18
jamie192

Regular

Post #3
uhh an are these hard to replace or a job do-able diy?
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 05:19
davidmartin

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
FAQ
have a read,See what you think.

this was mine and they were buggered along with the shafts

pet hate, the cat
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 05:30
cdgray

Regular

Post #5
I recently had to have rear beam replaced because of nackered bearings. I had a advisory on the MOT about play in the rear radius arm which I ignored for about 9 months. Mentioned it to Carl (mech_repairs) when he had the motor to do the HG, he looked at the back of the car and said straight away that the bearings where most likely fooked as one of the wheels was pointing in as you describe.

When he striped it down it was too far gone and the beam was scrapped as a result, so I'd advise you sort it sooner rather than later Thumbs up

Chris - Phase 3 Moonstone GTi 6
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 05:55
jamie192

Regular

Post #6
the aboe picture looks right but only on one side, looked through that faq so looking like the bearings, how expensive are thes to buy?
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 17:14
davidmartin

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Miles on here sells a kit for seventy odd quid,but if possible best to get the shafts out and check them ,as these could be gone too.and may be cheaper for you too source a good replacement beam.I may be changing plans soon ,I've got two o.e shafts and a bearing kit off miles that I might not be using .So if you need a set P.m me and we'll see if we can do a deal.

pet hate, the cat
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 19:24
jamie192

Regular

Post #8
well i live on the isle of wight so picking up any beams is an extra 40 quid just on ferry costs so getting a kit would probably be better. Advise is amazing thanks Smile I will pm you shortly, is it best to replace bearings on both sides?

Cheers again Smile
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 19:26
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Just get the fast cat accorss from ryde as a foot passenger and carry it home, much cheaper! Whistle

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 21:02
jamie192

Regular

Post #10
oecken wrote:
Just get the fast cat accorss from ryde as a foot passenger and carry it home, much cheaper! Whistle

lol and run to the breaker? good cardio work out i guess!LOL i got pretty much half my car to fix so need it pretty pronto, got brakes, rear beam, clutch cable, wheel bearing, just done ball joint and arb to fit fun times!
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 21:52
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Lol yeh, fair one, i suppose by the time public transport is involved it more than the ferry! though it was more expensive than that anyway? lived in bembridge just over a year ago and im sure when i took the car over even with resident discount it wasnt that cheap.

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 21:56
jamie192

Regular

Post #12
if your lucky u can get red funnel for about 36 quid return, but thats off peak times so wud be like 10 o clock in evening coming home an silly early going over, long day for getting a rear beam, an if u miss it u get charged more! we need a bridge i think!
Posted 1st Sep 2009 at 21:57
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
cdgray wrote:
I recently had to have rear beam replaced because of nackered bearings. I had a advisory on the MOT about play in the rear radius arm which I ignored for about 9 months. Mentioned it to Carl (mech_repairs) when he had the motor to do the HG, he looked at the back of the car and said straight away that the bearings where most likely fooked as one of the wheels was pointing in as you describe.

When you say to far gone what do you mean? Im about to have mine apart to do the bearings. What happens inside to render the beam un-usable?

When he striped it down it was too far gone and the beam was scrapped as a result, so I'd advise you sort it sooner rather than later Thumbs up
Unsure

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 2nd Sep 2009 at 03:48