displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: 306 GTi6/Rallye Vs ZX16V
kampungboy

Post #1
Hi all,

I'm a newbie from Malaysia.. Just got myself a ZX16V as I'm not able to get a gti-6 here..

306 GTi6/Rallye always considered as the best hot hatch in 90s... 205gti for 80s..

I know other than the look (exterior and interior), the key differences are the engine (155hp vs 167hp) and gearbox (5 vs 6 spd).

What is the main suspension difference between the GTI6/Rallye and ZX16V that make the 306 so good/fun to drive/handle?

thanks Big grin
Posted 13th Aug 2009 at 12:15
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
I like my zx as much as the 306, maybe more so!

stiffer rear torsion bars, and no rear toe in which is supposed to make the turn in a lot sharper.

they use the same front springs as the Phase 1 Xsara, so quite stiff really all-round as they do weigh a bit less.

Do you get the RFS engine in your ZX's? (Dakar they're called rather than 16v IIRC) they did in Europe and South America!

We only got the RFY over here, though I do have an RFS in my ZX Big grin

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Aug 2009 at 15:36
kampungboy

Post #3
over here zx16v are rare.. shd be less than 150 units in the country.. we only have RFY here.. so mine is original RFY.. i heard there are few converted to RFS+6sp from gti6.. some even with xsara or 306gti front body.. maybe next year i can convert mine to RFS+6sp.. maybe i can make my zx a 306rallye in zx body Big grin

but at this stage, i would learn how to handle the car... and would like to know why gti-6 is superior and zx so underated..

so far i found zx has stiffer rear torsion bars (21mm vs 20mm), no rear toe in (0 vs 4.2mm), same rear ARB (24mm) and lower front springs (lower by 25mm?).. the front & rear tracks are different.. zx f/r 1432/1425mm, 6 is 1462/1435mm. zx has quicker steering ratio (2.4 vs 2.9)? Unsure

increasing the zx track width at both end (same amount for both end, maybe 10mm) reduce the tendancy to oversteer/increase straight line stability/turn in not so sharp? Unsure
Posted 18th Aug 2009 at 13:59
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
why would you want to make it less sharp and reduce oversteer?

I have found that my ZX is about as quick as a rallye even with the 5 speed box, so faster than a gti6, but I do have the RFS engine Big grin

please dont make it look ugly with peugeot or xsara parts!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 18th Aug 2009 at 15:45
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
welshpug! wrote:
why would you want to make it less sharp and reduce oversteer?

I have found that my ZX is about as quick as a rallye even with the 5 speed box, so faster than a gti6, but I do have the RFS engine Big grin

please dont make it look ugly with peugeot or xsara parts!

yeah! keep it as a ZX! Cool

and the 5 speed box is great, it only misses the "cool factor" other than that is just as good as it's 6 speed friend! LOL

VTS
best 60' : 2.272
best 1/8 ET : 9.375 @ 74.42mph
best 1/4 ET: 14.603 @ 97.047mph

Team Trackday™
Posted 18th Aug 2009 at 22:39
kampungboy

Post #6
Hi..

No.. I'm NOT going to do anything to change the look of my ZX! i like how it looks LOL maybe change the color from black to white (Dakar/Rallye white?) Cool

No, i'm not trying to make it less sharp and reduce oversteer.. but i find my zx a bit twitchy.. and I often see comments on the 6 has better steering feel than zx/vts... why? i'm wondering if the track width is the key factor for these or the zero toe in Roll eyes and it doesn't look nice with the original wheel (offset).. so I
Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 13:25
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
block and crank the same, longer rods and shallower pistons in the RFS, different head casting, different inlet and the SS tubular exhaust manifold.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 19:46
kampungboy

Post #8
thanks welshpug! let me source for the parts to convert my RFY to RFS : )
Posted 25th Aug 2009 at 05:49
joevts

Senior User

Post #9
kampungboy wrote:
Hi..

and I often see comments on the 6 has better steering feel than zx/vts...

And the passive rear steer is not noticeable (or working??) at all, atleast compared to my ex-alfa gtv.. maybe my rear bushings are gone..

thx

can't understand why 0.5 more turns lock would make the steering feel better, but it probably has something to do with the 6 being inherently better than any citroen, as i'm sure a few members of this forum will confirm. so i can't understand why some 6 owners seem to want 'inferior' xsara springs/t-bars/steering rack Roll eyes

if the rear bushes were gone it would make the rear steer more noticeable wouldn't it? but if you think the handling is twitchy, maybe this is a sign that they are on their way out.
Posted 26th Aug 2009 at 00:35
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
maybe you don't understand fast French cars at all if you don't get it :p Laugh my ass off

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Aug 2009 at 00:39