displaying posts 1 to 24 of 24

Author Subject: Clonking after suspension overhaul
eddd

Regular

Post #1
Over the weekend I finally got round to replacing all of my front suspension, comprising of eibachs on b8 dampers, Richs roller bearing wishbone bushes, ball joints, top mount bearings, TRE, droplinks, discs and pads.

All was fine on the few shakdown runs I did after fitting it all to make sure there werent any noises coming from it all. However it has now developed a clonk which tends to happen at slow speed manouvering eg parking, or if you hit a fair large but smooth bump in the road at about 50-60mph.

I have checked and re-checked all bolts and nuts and everything is tight, however in bouncing the car, you can see the nut in the centre of the top mount bearing moving up and down, even though it is tight. Is this likely to be it? As the slow speed clonk would lend itself to the bearings, even though they are brand new Peugeot parts? I don't know if this is normal, but to my mind it shouldn't be doing that but I'm unsure.

Any advice and help very welcome!

Team Nile™
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 18:50
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
the bolt should be tight againts the bearing no movement in it
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 20:36
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
nut even LOL
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 20:39
eddd

Regular

Post #4
Yer it is. The cup below the nut and top washer is moving with it, its like the centre of the bearing top plate is flexing in the middle, I dont understand!

Team Nile™
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 20:50
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
it should all be tight, no movement at all, can you disassembe it and make sure its all in the right order if not get back to pug and see if it the rigt part
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 21:32
eddd

Regular

Post #6
Well yer, I think I will have too. All looked identical and I'm sure I havent stupidly left anything out that should have been included. Ah well, job for another day.

Team Nile™
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 21:40
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I cant remeber if the bearings can go in upside down
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 22:20
eddd

Regular

Post #8
I have done that in the past and it just slides around on the spring cup, so I don't think its that but can't rule it out till I've had another look.

Team Nile™
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 22:34
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
The flat side of the bearing should sit in the underside of the top mount and the tapered side sits in the top spring cup. I don't know if it's possible to fit them the other way round. Have you definitely torqued the top nut up enough?

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 22:38
eddd

Regular

Post #10
Yer it's plenty tight enough having double and triple checked them, so i dunno.

Team Nile™
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 22:53
eddd

Regular

Post #11
One thing I wasnt completely sure on was the rebound stops. Do they get fitted as per normal, cut down or not fitted at all? Just they didnt seem to fit the damper shaft and didnt seem to offer much travel if fitted.

Team Nile™
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 23:00
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I think you shorten them the amount you lower the car, dont hold me to that though
Posted 4th Aug 2009 at 23:45
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Check that you anti roll bar is centeral, and your drop links are'nt catching as they move

Built on 25th November 1998... That was a Wednesday..... Thank God it wasn't a Friday!

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 5th Aug 2009 at 01:19
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
New top mount bearings can make funney noises before they settle in; mine clonked on my old diablo for quite a few miles before they settled down again.

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 5th Aug 2009 at 01:24
eddd

Regular

Post #15
I have replaced one of them in the past and was fine, I just don't know if this movement where the little cup at the top with the washer and main nut are is normal or not as to me I don't remember it in the past and just doesnt seem right in my eyes.

Team Nile™
Posted 5th Aug 2009 at 01:36
david xsi

Post #16
Hey, hows it goin! signed up here a while ago but never got around to posting anything! I had the same problem last year on my 106 any after much investigation and a good few quid it was eventually fixed by tightenin the bollox outta the top nut! hope ya get sorted
Posted 5th Aug 2009 at 01:40
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Get a longer BFO bar
Posted 5th Aug 2009 at 02:09
rich-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
If the bolts as tight as it'l go, whip it off and put a washer under it then retighten, I had the same problem with my Clio with factory topmounts, Renaults fix is to grind some material off the body Shock

Double check you havent missed something when you have rebuilt it though Yes

Cool

RIP Pete Sims
Posted 5th Aug 2009 at 02:31
eddd

Regular

Post #19
So you don't think it has anything to do with the rebound stops not being installed? Hopefully on thursday I'll be able to whip them off and give them a check over, really wish I didn't have to though!

Cheers for the help so far guys.

Team Nile™
Posted 5th Aug 2009 at 02:34
paul_gti6_uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Funny you mention this Eddd. Mine is exactly the same as yours too, and I have exactly the same suspension setup up front bar the wishbones. It has done this since the day I installed my suspension, I never checked if it did it with standard suspension. My nut is done up as tight as possible however there is movement in both of my top mounts. I thought it was simply because the top mount is a firm type of rubber there and allows a little movement?! could be wrong though. I double checked both sides of mine and had re-assembled it as it came apart. Mine didn't clunk for about 8k miles tho and now I have an odd clunk on the offside suspension somewhere, though I think this may possibly be either Droplinks, TREs or Balljoints.

I showed this to Daveboy no here the other day when he was carrying out a repair on my chassis.

China Blue 306GTI-6 Big grin Ph3

Team Now Bikeless Sad
Posted 7th Aug 2009 at 19:58
nev6

Regular

Post #21
cress87 wrote:
The flat side of the bearing should sit in the underside of the top mount and the tapered side sits in the top spring cup. I don't know if it's possible to fit them the other way round. Have you definitely torqued the top nut up enough?

a bit of thread revival, but relevant to my question.

i have just fitted new top mount bearings to the O/S of my 6. and once i refitted the shock the top spring cup would not locate properly on the top mount or bearing it just slides off.

so have i put the bearing in upside down?

ex team astor

still team miami 205 gti-6
Posted 21st Sep 2009 at 21:58
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Hmm The bearing you've got should be tapered yes?

If you hold the strut upright, the top spring hat sits directly on top of the spring then the bearing sits (taper down) on/in the top hat. The flat side of the bearing sits in the underside of the top mount.

Kinda hard to explain. Can you take a picture of how yours is put together? Smile

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 21st Sep 2009 at 22:04
nev6

Regular

Post #23
yes the bearing is tapered.

its all back on the car at the mo as i got f*cked off with it yesterday and decided to send it to carl, only to phone him today to find he's on hol for a week!

i think i'll take it off again and see if its upside down, if its not it'll have to wait a week.

thanks for your help though, hopefully thats all it is.

ex team astor

still team miami 205 gti-6
Posted 21st Sep 2009 at 22:16
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
No probs. Just shout if you get stuck. Must be something fairly simple unless you've been given the wrong bearings or something.

Should have taken a picture of mine when I had them apart. Doh

Posted 21st Sep 2009 at 22:19