displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: P Bush Fitting
black 6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I am in the middle of changing my P bushes but have a problem. I removed the old bush no probs, hammered on the new bush level with the arm as per the old one but when I have put it back on the car I can't get the long rear bolt through the bush itself as the bush does not lay flat against the chassis. I have tried jacking the strut up but that did not solve it. Should I have fitted the bush slightly forwards? My car is not lowered.

Although it's no longer available new, it's worth trying to get hold of a good example second-hand. As GTi's get tubbier and cooler, it's nice to remind yourself of why insurance companies hate hot-hatches so much.-Top Gear on the 6 Apr '01. Black 6
Posted 1st Aug 2009 at 02:12
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
Yeah, these can be a bit tricky to line up. You should be able to get the M8 locating bolt in to pull the bush into the correct position though.

Once you've got the bolt though the P bush strap you then need to press down on the ARB bush clamp to get that to line up.

Rich
Posted 1st Aug 2009 at 02:37
jpmatrix

Senior User

Post #3
Rich E wrote:
Yeah, these can be a bit tricky to line up. You should be able to get the M8 locating bolt in to pull the bush into the correct position though.

Once you've got the bolt though the P bush strap you then need to press down on the ARB bush clamp to get that to line up.

I just fitted a new p- bush on the drivers side. Just to clarify, the arb clamp sits on top of the P-bushUnsure? Thats how i fitted mine. Hope it aint the other way round.

Posted 1st Aug 2009 at 03:17
black 6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
jpmatrix wrote:
Rich E wrote:

I just fitted a new p- bush on the drivers side. Just to clarify, the arb clamp sits on top of the P-bushUnsure? Thats how i fitted mine. Hope it aint the other way round.
Yes, on top. When you fitted the new bushes did you rotate them slightly downwards, if the arm was sitting upright?

Although it's no longer available new, it's worth trying to get hold of a good example second-hand. As GTi's get tubbier and cooler, it's nice to remind yourself of why insurance companies hate hot-hatches so much.-Top Gear on the 6 Apr '01. Black 6
Posted 1st Aug 2009 at 03:27
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
its an arseache getting the clamp to line up, use a G-clamp Wink

really easy then.

I didnt rotate mine as my car wasnt lowered.
Posted 1st Aug 2009 at 22:54
jpmatrix

Senior User

Post #6
black 6 wrote:
jpmatrix wrote:
Rich E wrote:

Yes, on top. When you fitted the new bushes did you rotate them slightly downwards, if the arm was sitting upright?
Crazy

Yes. I made sure of that. The biggest problem was knocking out the lower ball joint. What a ball ache that wasCrazy

Posted 1st Aug 2009 at 23:51
black 6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
jpmatrix wrote:
black 6 wrote:
jpmatrix wrote:
Rich E wrote:

Crazy

Yes. I made sure of that. The biggest problem was knocking out the lower ball joint. What a ball ache that wasCrazy
Yeah agreed splitting the bj was a fcuker. Got it sorted via a clamp. Now just got to get the MOT cert!

Posted 2nd Aug 2009 at 00:40
smithers

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Can anyone confirm what way you turn the p-bush on a lowered car please,

If the wishbone is lying flat do i turn the bush down the way?? Thumbs up

1997 Black GTi6
smithers205 at hotmail.com
Posted 27th May 2010 at 23:38
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
fit the p-bush so it sits flat.

also when fitting the wishbone, fit the inner end at the p-bush first, THEN the BJ, far easier Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th May 2010 at 00:07
black 6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
welshpug! wrote:
fit the p-bush so it sits flat.

also when fitting the wishbone, fit the inner end at the p-bush first, THEN the BJ, far easier Thumbs up
Thats for a standard ride height car. Your aim is to have the p bush flat when the car is on the ground so rotate the p bush to allow for this. If you do a search its been covered a few times

Posted 28th May 2010 at 16:37
smithers

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
yeah i had a gander but it was all a bit vague, everyone talksd about turning the bush but doesn't say in which direction. My thinking is that on a lowered car the bush should be pointing upwards slightly in this picture

Cheers for your help again Thumbs up

1997 Black GTi6
Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 03:29
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #12
that looks flat to me.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 05:51
smithers

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
yeah it is, that is from a standard car. So what way should they be turned on a lowered car. Cheers Thumbs up

1997 Black GTi6
Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 12:12
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #14
as it is, the wishbones point down from horizontal at standard ride height, when lowered (sensibly) they'll be flat.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 13:22
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #15
stop repeating yourself!!! Laugh my ass off

they'll be fine flat unless you have a STOOOOPID ride height.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 14:57
smithers

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
sorry, im on the mobile! Only a 30mm drop so should be fine. Cheers for you help, graeme Thumbs up

1997 Black GTi6
Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 15:04