displaying posts 26 to 50 of 280

Pages (12): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: Custom Cages at discount rates!
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #26
daveyboy wrote:
jimmy_boy wrote:
We'll be starting on ours soon. Will let you know about any "wrong shaped" bits Dry

I'm not sure I want to know about your "wrong shaped bits" Unsure LOL

Flip

FINE! If you wanna be like that! LOL

I didn't even research the cage on here Bono.. Got the info from Russ (m3yrt) with the Seat Cupra LMA racecar.

At least we'll all be able to give eachother advice about what to expect Smile

GTI-6 & Rallye

Rallye gets sideways in the wet at Snetterton Ninja
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 14:20
rikky 🦔

Post #27
bono wrote:
rikky wrote:

didnt realise so many people were going for challenge cages

If you hadn't noticed, 2009 is the year of everyone doing the same thing Mellow

when are you down here by the way?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 14:33
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
If the car's already most stripped, a full weekends work should crack the cage off.
Getting the underseal off takes a while though LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 15:10
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #29
phillipm wrote:
If the car's already most stripped, a full weekends work should crack the cage off.
Getting the underseal off takes a while though LOL

If that is the case I expect the charge for fitting will be approx

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 15:28
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
For 8 hour days you probably want to add another half day on that at least then, just for contingency.

Saw Dave the other day, says you've meaured up and have more droop than thought?
He reckons it's the Compbrake mounts though, hence no loss of damping, wasn't happy either way LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 15:42
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #31
phillipm wrote:
For 8 hour days you probably want to add another half day on that at least then, just for contingency.

Saw Dave the other day, says you've meaured up and have more droop than thought?
He reckons it's the Compbrake mounts though, hence no loss of damping, wasn't happy either way LOL

Off topic, but I have 1.75" of droop in the suspension, so that seems like plenty. There is a tiny ammount of movement in the topmount bearing but not enough to cause the knocking on the scale I'm experiencing. I'm running out of ideas fast though because I cannot find any play in any of the other suspension/steering components.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 16:09
bono

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
rikky wrote:
bono wrote:
rikky wrote:

didnt realise so many people were going for challenge cages

If you hadn't noticed, 2009 is the year of everyone doing the same thing Mellow

when are you down here by the way?

I'm always down with it, part of being in the SPG (Special Population Group)

As for when I will be making the journey up north Wink I am not yet sure, depends on 306 i guess.

///M5
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 16:44
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
LOL

Email me!
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 16:45
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #34
jimmy_boy wrote:
daveyboy wrote:
jimmy_boy wrote:
We'll be starting on ours soon. Will let you know about any "wrong shaped" bits Dry

I'm not sure I want to know about your "wrong shaped bits" Unsure LOL

Flip

FINE! If you wanna be like that! LOL

I didn't even research the cage on here Bono.. Got the info from Russ (m3yrt) with the Seat Cupra LMA racecar.

At least we'll all be able to give eachother advice about what to expect Smile

Wherabouts in the New Forest are you? I would'nt mind having a look at what you got before I place my order.

Harness bars
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 17:02
dhampton

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
daveyboy wrote:
Wherabouts in the New Forest are you? I would'nt mind having a look at what you got before I place my order.

This is the kit:

Clio 182 FF 306 Rallye (track) 306 Gti-6 Megane R26 Clio 172 Cup (track) 106 Rallye S2 (track) 306 Rallye Saxo VTR 106 Zest2
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 18:02
rikky 🦔

Post #36
....... oh dear .......

in the politest way possible, get some Paracetamol

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 18:07
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
LOL

Or just weld it where it lands and balls to it it....

Email me!
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 18:08
bono

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
mmm pasta!

///M5
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 18:44
rikky 🦔

Post #39
could always use the main hoops as artificial legs or for an elaborate practical joke i suppose Unsure

Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 18:55
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #40
rikky wrote:
could always use the main hoops as artificial legs or for an elaborate practical joke i suppose Unsure

What exactly is the issue with the main hoop? Too big, too small? Can it be modified or does it not fit at all?

Harness bars
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 18:57
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
I think they send Rikky a set from a Clio just to wind him up LOL

Email me!
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 19:03
rikky 🦔

Post #42
might aswell post these pics, ignore the rest as it is a big work in progress

they have been removed, my fitters (i'm sure you know who - phil and ed) tried to bend them to suit the shell better (but they cracked!) so some T45 ones were made up to go how they should go, so that i dont have 3-5" of worry above my head as the roof is collapsing before touching the cage when i roll it over

this is how they should be IMO

i'm p*ssed off to be very honest with it. you compare that to their diagram on the site.. LOL i'll be having words when i get chance to see what is said, that's not right!

i am not sure if they are all like this, just look out though.. sure you can leave it though and stick it where it falls like phil says but.. Blink Blink come off it it's not right

not sure what else was up, must backtrack through my pm's, think a few items had a questionable fit but nothing quite this bad i dont think

Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 19:12
rikky 🦔

Post #43
omg phillip HOW DARE YOU LEAVE LUCOZADE BOTTLES IN MY CAR Shock you'll mess up my new paintwork!

Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 19:13
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
It'd weld in where it was, but the only way to take up that gap, would be to cut and fit their little gusset plate - and while gussets are great for stiffening the shell, they just fold over in an impact...

They've basically got two bends in the front legs for no apparent reason whatsoever, whether they are all like that, or this was a one off mistake, I don't know.

Email me!
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 19:14
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #45
Maybe they have done it like that to make it easier to weld in situ? Can't think of any other reason for such a gap. On the plus side you could easily fit some gusset plates in the gap for greatly ingreased rigidity.

To be honest that gap would'nt worry me overly, more of an annoyance than a serious safety concern, but at that money you want it to be right.

Harness bars
bono

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
oh, fyi, my front windscreen bar actually is much lower than that.
It goes through the metal bracket that holds the steering wheel up, probably about a foot lower than yours.

///M5
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
rikky wrote:
omg phillip HOW DARE YOU LEAVE LUCOZADE BOTTLES IN MY CAR Shock you'll mess up my new paintwork!

LOL

'S your fault for making me work into the night Razz
Besides, I've already had the angle grinder on your fancy paint anyway...

quote:
It goes through the metal bracket that holds the steering wheel up, probably about a foot lower than yours

It's just resting on the sill, it wasn't fitted there LOL

Email me!
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 19:15
rikky 🦔

Post #48
bono wrote:
oh, fyi, my front windscreen bar actually is much lower than that.
It goes through the metal bracket that holds the steering wheel up, probably about a foot lower than yours.

yeah, i think there is a reason for this... something to do with the dash bar they sent being wrong possibly. i did think that in terms of height but have told phillip to put it where he feels best, i think the bit where it is is ok so dont know where it lies at the moment

Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 19:16
bono

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
heres a pic I have to hand:

Sorry I can't get you anymore just yet

///M5
Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 19:16
rikky 🦔

Post #50
i have that on my site.. LOL rikky.net/upload

Posted 7th Jul 2009 at 19:17

Pages (12): 1 [2] 3 .. last