bain of my life too,
1. always leave at least 4 car lengths between you and car in front.
2. never let anyone overtake at all costs, (all the c**p sits in the middle of the road and gets flicked up as car passes)im not saying drive faster either, just don't let em overtake.
3. drive with lights on, even in the day time (ive been experimenting with this recently and for some reason - but not quite 100% of the time - cars coming the opposite way tend to keep further to their left and avoiding the same scenario as mentioned in point # 2 above)
4. avoid certain roads that have big chevrons in the middle for junctions, you always get some c**t flying across them cutting junctions (again see points 2-3.
5. don't drive in really hot weather as the extra sticky tyres due to the heat further cause stones to flick up more readily.
6. if you ever see a gritter just avoid it at all costs, or if its coming the opposite way, spin round quick and stay in front.
7. avoid any roadwork's
8. always keep to your far left (though being mindful of and debris near to the curb ) to increase the distance between yourself and the traffic coming in the opposite direction as these can and do still flick up stones.
there are a few others but I can safely say my bonnet is in top condition as a result