displaying posts 1 to 25 of 31

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Cooling issues
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Some of you may have noticed my cooling issues at FCS 09

Long story short, it sits at 90* when driving normal, but when i drive it hard, the temp rockets up and goes into the red near enough, this is why i was driving like a granny for a few laps on the track to cool it down a little

I have my intercooler covering the rad (sits higher on this car) and the new dimma bumper, could this be the problem, engine gets hot, heats the water, rad cant cool it enough?

Ive bled the system as per the FAQ, so i dont think ther is a problem the, but you never know.

The fans work on both low and high speeds at 105-107*

What would happen if i didnt run a thermostat ?

Im thinking about wirring in a switch for the fans aswell.

Any ideas to solve the problem would be great.

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 06:20
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
"What would happen if i didnt run a thermostat ?"

More engine wear when cold and no real coolant flow benefit, it's either a problem with airflow behind the rads, or there's still some air in there I would have thought.

I don't know what the bumper is like 'cause we haven't got any decent pics Whistle

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 06:24
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
put a picture up of the front of the car mate

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 06:25
vts_gav

Regular

Post #4
i would have thought a manual switch would help or fitting a fan sensor that cuts in earlier.
have you thought about louvres or vents in the bonnet to allow airflow to escape the engine bay
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 17:07
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Ive driven it for about 20miles today, steady drive for the first 10miles with temps at about 90, drove it hard for a bit, then traffic, was going up and down from 90-110, wasnt exactly ragging it either

Dan
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 17:40
vts_gav

Regular

Post #6
thats looks better than std for airflow
did these dimma's have some fancy bonnet as the wings rise in a different shape
have you had a new rad and thermostat fitted?
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 17:47
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
If all else fails have you got a OE rad on or one of the Nissens type Rads on. I have a nissens rad

When im driving normal the temp never gets above 75c, and even when on track or a hot day with normal driving it dosnt go much above 80c.

The Nissens rad will be more efficient as its Alloy and can dissipate the heat more efectivly.

You mentioned that the fans come on at 105-107c - a bit high ? mine come on at 95c and then switch off at 90c when in traffic.

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 18:17
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Its got a brand new nissens rad on it Smile

The last car had a nissens one on aswell and that never got this hot, with same engine Unsure

Ive bought a new thermostat just to be safe, so when the car is cool im guna change that i think, this is an 83* one.

The wings are susposed to be that high, the bumper has a bigger mouth, but my intercooler is sat covering the whole rad, where as in my last car the cooler was sat lower down, level with the top of the bumper, so the rad could breat alot more.

Dan
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 18:26
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #9
What fan controller are you using Dan? Is it an S16 one?

steve h gti-6 wrote:
When im driving normal the temp never gets above 75c, and even when on track or a hot day with normal driving it dosnt go much above 80c.

Those temps sound a little too low. The GTi-6 thermostat is 83 degrees so you shouldn't really be seeing the gauge under 80 once the car is warm. The most likely cause is a leaking thermostat, or possibly the blue temperature sensor is not sending an accurate reading to the gauge.

Rich
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 18:27
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I think the fan controller is a gti6 one, one at the front under the chassi leg ? ive swoppd the entire s16 setup of the car with all my old gti6 bits you see.

Dan
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 18:32
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #11
Hmm, not that then (although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being faulty).

The S16 runs a hotter thermostat you see, and I'm pretty sure the fan controller brings the fans on later too but with the GTi controller this won't be an issue.

Sounds silly but try swapping the blue sensor just to be sure it's not giving a false reading to the gauge.

Rich
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 18:38
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
quote:
steve h gti-6 wrote:

Those temps sound a little too low. The GTi-6 thermostat is 83 degrees so you shouldn't really be seeing the gauge under 80 once the car is warm. The most likely cause is a leaking thermostat, or possibly the blue temperature sensor is not sending an accurate reading to the gauge.

All has been working fine the 2 years ive had the Nessins rad on and new thermostat. both were changed at the same time.

The temp goes betwwen 75 and 80 depending on my driving style but never creeps much above 80c.

Im sure my blue temp sender unit is working properley as the the fans cut in and out as they should. when my air-con is on in high speed mode, the fans cool my car reight down to about 73-75c when in traffic.

What temps have other people been getting with the Nissens rad on, i thought that was normal operating temps with the N Rad onUnsure

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 18:46
rikky 🦔

Post #13
steve h gti-6 wrote:

something definitely not right there, i bet your seal on the thermostat has broken up Yes this is exactly what i had and it won't do you any good leaving it No

edit maybe i should scroll down first Doh i see the Brain got the answer in first

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 18:43
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Just done a seach to make sure i wasnt talking S**T ! LOL !, loads of other people on a Nissens thread that Carl started all run around at 70-75c.

From the thread by Carl

"They are of a better quality than the standard fitment as they do not corrode and loose there core, also being aluminuin have a better heat displacement (car runs slightly cooler).

Carl"

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 19:09
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
My nissens sits at 80 for normal driving and 90 up to 100 in traffic; it only sat at 70 when my thermostat was buggered Dunno

The rad might be slightly cooler but the thermostat is supposed to control the engine temp and that is 83 degrees. With a nissens you should see it cool quicker, not run cooler imo
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 19:18
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Mine always sits at 75-80c for normal driving, always has. Yes i agree it gets cooler a hell of a lot quicker. But It aint broke so i aint gonna fix it, been running like this for the 2years ive had the new thermostat and rad in. Mine has never risen above 95 as the fans have always cut in/or on the 95c mark.

Before my car ran at around 80-85c normal driving with an OE rad and FUBARED'd thermostat so i was pretty pleased how much cooler it ran afterwards.

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 19:37
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
birk wrote:
Ive bled the system as per the FAQ, so i dont think ther is a problem the, but you never know.

May be as simple as an air-lock still present in the heater matrix like you suggested, mine was a real pain to get the air out. Cant remember how many times i had to bleed it to sort itLOL

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 19:40
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
But when i bleed the system from the 3 bleed points they all seem to have no air coming out of them.

Im going to have to take the front end off soon to sort the powersteering problems out, the pump isnt allinged properly, so need to adjust that and redo the powersteering pipes which are leaking, when i do this, i'll stick a new thermostat in, replace the bitron unit and the coolant sensors, then rebleed the system.

Dan
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 19:47
fletch

Track Head

Post #19
You running an oil cooler Dan? They do run hot with the charger Yes

Probably best to beef up the fans too.
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 20:04
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
I bought an oil cooler, but i didnt fit it, as i needed to get the car up and running for the mot, the one i bought wasnt new as i was told, so im going to sell it and look for a new one i think, you still have yours for sale ?

I have some slim line fans, i thought they all did the same tbh, or is that not the case ?

Dan
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 20:07
fletch

Track Head

Post #21
Oil cooler has gone mate, but if you can keep the oil temps down that will help keep the collant in check.

Could add some water wetter too Yes

I bought two supposedly Spal blower fans and was unwittingly supplied two shit sucker fans Roll eyes
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 20:08
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Hmmm... maybe i have some shit fans then, i'll check them out when i get chance, surely the fans could be reversed to get them to work both ways ?

Whats a water wetter ? Unsure

I think im going to buy a new coolant sensor while im replacing stuff aswell.

Dan
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 20:13
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
water wetter is a surface tension reducer for your coolant, a bit of IPA will do the same job.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 20:21
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Ahhh right, ive just been looking at this water wetter stuff, seems pretty cool, might stick some of that in at some point, i shouldnt realy need it though, i want to get it sorted and running properly on its own like it used to.

Dan
Posted 16th Jun 2009 at 20:24
mabgti

NV motors

Post #25
Fletch is right.. Charged ones do run hotter.. and looking at the front end.. theres fook all room for air to get to the rad.. Might help getting the number plate relocatedYes

I've kept as much air space between the FMIC and rad as poss for air flow. And both my 11" spal fans are shit hot.. As they cool it within secondsYes

Birdged the AC pressure sensor pin 2 and 3 and i can work the fans with the AC buttonYes

P.S with that dimma front bumper being so low you may aswell drop a V mount FMIC in there as everyone else to get the pipes under to value as much open space from the bumper.. and regain as much air speed on the FMIC. Might help a little with throttle response too with shorter pipes.

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 17th Jun 2009 at 00:23

Pages (2): [1] 2