displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: Rallye track build
cjslator

Regular

Post #1
Well I bought it back in Feb this year as a standard car (except a longmans worked head) with a heater matrix problem. The day after I bought it I managed to throw it round Donington at a trackday with Nige and it was great fun even in standard form.

Whilst I was away I left it with a friday (Andy, cheers mate) to have some maintenance carried out (full service, heater matrix, cam belt etc). I also decided that I have missed not having a decent car to track and was fed up with borrowing others so I took the plunge and ordered a cage, seats, and an oil cooler.

My plans for the car are quite simple. I want to keep it as close to standard as possible and have the intention eventually to race it with the RAFMSA, which is a cheap series and based on putting in good solid laps. It will remain on standard brakes as they are fairly large stock but will be treated to braided lines and uprated pads. I have bought the full suspension package off Matti's car which is H&R coilovers, Peugeot Sport tarmac rally torsion bars, uprated rear ARB and the skip browns solid rear mount kit, the front will be polybushed at some point too. Interior is just about all in to keep the noise to a minimum. Engine is staying standard apart from the oil cooler, and I have a set of OZ SuperT's for track use.

So last week I popped over to see Andy and to lend a helping hand.

The cage was fitted, door bars made to fit properly, and mounts welded to shell. Then all removed and off for painting.

E-bay special on the seats

Andy doing a great job of modifying the floor

Because of the head protectors on the seats they were very difficult to position correct which required cutting all the brackets out from the original seats.

My great aerosol painting skills

Andy made up the cage mounting plates and his mate welded them in place, and a lovely job they did of them too

Cage in

Andy hungover

Tag point above windscreen

Seat trial fitted

Interior going back in

Oil cooler kit

I cannot take any credit for the work, nor can I thank Andy enough. I think I am going to be in beer debt for a long time Smile
Posted 12th Jun 2009 at 05:02
ken

Senior User

Post #2
Very tidy little project mate. Good man

Team Black Rallye Big grin
xbox live - Xx 7 kenny 7 xX

Posted 12th Jun 2009 at 13:36
dhampton

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Bitburger sticker provides the finishing touch! Big grin

Clio 182 FF 306 Rallye (track) 306 Gti-6 Megane R26 Clio 172 Cup (track) 106 Rallye S2 (track) 306 Rallye Saxo VTR 106 Zest2
Posted 12th Jun 2009 at 14:00
binclintonusa

Post #4
So last week I popped over to see Andy and to lend a helping hand.Razz

[color=#D3D3D3]pret auto[/color]
Posted 12th Jun 2009 at 14:04
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Anymore progress with this?

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 10th Aug 2009 at 19:25
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Good looking project mate Thumbs up

Anyone know whats going on here?

binclintonusa wrote:
So last week I popped over to see Andy and to lend a helping hand.Razz

[color=#D3D3D3]pret auto[/color]

wtf? LOL

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 10th Aug 2009 at 22:52
peugeot dave

Regular

Post #7
nice project love the cherry red 6.
was the mocal oil cooler expensive as i will be wanting one soon i hope to track mine when its finished
or shall i rephrase if it gets finished

my car's spending all my money grrrrrrrrrr
Posted 11th Aug 2009 at 03:30
tris

Regular

Post #8
Nice mate how much and where did you get the oil cooler
Posted 14th Aug 2009 at 01:33
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #9
Look like a good build, liking the seats!

I can do the oil cooler kits for a good price if needed Wink

FOR SALE

205 Turbo Technics complete and 306 Rallye Race Build breaking.
Posted 14th Aug 2009 at 01:51
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
good build, i want a cage now

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
Posted 14th Aug 2009 at 02:00
cjslator

Regular

Post #11
ooops, I forgot this hadn't been updated.

Car has progressed since the above, Oil cooler on, cage finished, seats/belts in, RB wishbone bushes in and has been tracked quite a bit.

Currently using it as my everyday car until I find the time to get my Defender MOT'd so it is still sporting full carpets and interior. Once I don't have to use it everyday then it is going on a diet, carpets out, interior out and polycarb windows.

Boxed up ready to fit is my Lifeline extinguisher, battery cut-off, BakerBM rear mounts, Xsara TB's, Spoox/Ash ARB, AdamB's pugsport exhaust and a new front bumper.

I am struggling at the moment with the mounting of the harnesses, I think they are too steep at the moment fastened where the rear belts were and can't weld a bar into the cage so need to get some pics and email over to a scruitineer for an opinion, but it looks like I will have to put a harness bar into the bodyshell somewhere.

I have also got a set of 15" MO's for it with some DO2J's and on the lookout for another set so I can then sell on my 6 cyclones.

All I have left to buy for this season is a trailer, suspension and a roof scoop. The rest of my pennies will be going on the defender and my ARDS test ready for the MSV endurance series and the RAFMSA events throughout the year.

Will get some pics of the current state when I return from a short break for NY Smile
Posted 29th Dec 2009 at 04:13
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #12
Why can't you put a harness bar on the cage?

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 29th Dec 2009 at 11:38
cjslator

Regular

Post #13
because the cage is homologated and can't be modified in any way by welding. If it has then all the cage needs to be inspected which I think will make it more of a PITA.

Will wait and see what the scrutineer says when he comes back to me. IMO the belts are borderline at the moment but don't want one person to allow it only to turn up at another event for someone else to turn it down.
Posted 29th Dec 2009 at 13:27
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #14
Ah, forgot you were entering a championship. You may well be still be able to have it done, but only by an approved company.

I can't remember what the blue book says though.

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 29th Dec 2009 at 15:38
cjslator

Regular

Post #15
Well we have had some progress with this, the following is stolen from another forum...

It was rather cold this morning in the unit, Pinderman arrived and first job was to get the heater cracked on.

Replacement trailing arms and beam for refurbishment.

Cleaned and nearly ready for go-faster paint.

Andy is nearly here and it's time for first coffee break.

Post coffee break Nige carried on cleaning up the beam

Then Andy arrived with the car

and plenty of boxes of parts for fitting

Car unloaded and pushed into the unit, Foggy came for a look

Nige got painting

And I got removing the sound deadening from the floor

Just had lunch and a coffee, time to crack on....

Well it has been/is being a productive day to say the least.

The are many regulations to follow in order to pass scruitineering (hopefully), we have had some trouble with bits but have had some good advice from both UB and our series scruitineer, many thanks UB :thumb:

First job for the afternoon was to make a start on the mounting plates for the drivers seat and for his/her harnesses also IAW current regs.

The plates required to reinforce the eyelets need to be a minimum of 40cm2 area and 3mm thick. We made these larger slightly to be safe. As you can see, plates have been made and welded all over the car.

Stace turned up just after lunch, then Tim also blessed us with his company :thumb:

Tim wasn't afraid to get stuck in either cleaning up with me where the sound deadening was on the floor with thinners, schweet!!

My mate Mally is welding up most of the underneath as I type so we can get a lick of paint on it in the morning.

Oh and we marked out the alloy plate to go under the scuttle panel for the battery pull cable and the fire extinguisher button, I might go cut that out now while Mally finishes the welding.

Pictures speak a thousand words....

Many thanks to all today, Andy, Nige, Tim and not forgetting Stace for the brew (no biccies though)....

In the bible the maximum angle for the harnesses is 45deg so my previous position wasn't right for competition. My cage is homologated, meaning I can't modify it in anyway so we have had to move the mounting points for the harnesses. Starting with the shoulder straps..

Tim doing some sound deadening removal :thumb:

Andy and myself trying to line up the reinforcement plates for the seat.

Battery isolator cable pull / Fire extinguisher button mounting plate marked up

Mally prepping for welding in the seat plates and harness plates

Blurry welded one Whistle:

Car up on the ramp to weld it underneath

And Mally working his magic with the welder

:thumb:
Posted 11th Mar 2010 at 02:51
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #16
Nice update Smile

GTI-6 & Rallye