displaying posts 1 to 25 of 169

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Phase 1 Supercharged Track Weapon
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
As some of you may well know, this project should have been done and dusted quite some time ago, instead of still being work in progress.
Although it would have been a phase 3 rather then a phase 1, my previous project met its rather early demise nearly a year ago, in June 2008.
See here

Having that car killed has probably in some way given me the kick up the backside and the means to try and get this one done a bit quicker then the other one would have been completed in all fairness.

After the diablo was killed I had to buy another car as a run about, and quickly. Having already been thinking about it anyway for a few months, there was a faily simple choice involved. We wanted a cheap to run, small, economical car due to the fact that my 6 was costing a fortune in petrol for all the miles that my other half was doing for work, and we just didn't need a big car as I have a work van for any tip runs etc.

We had settled on either a Pug 107, Citroen C1, or a Toyota Aygo. All the same car essentially, so it just came down to who was going to do the best deal at the time and what colour she prefered Roll eyes

We ended up with this:

After the Aygo was bought, I had to wait for the insurance to payout (and to see what the sum would be) before I could go 'fun' car shopping for myself.
Now having already removed a load of goodies from the last 6, having a supercharger kit that never got fitted, and having a fairly good knowledge of these cars already, I quickly decided on another 6 as a replacement. It was just a case of finding either a nice P1 or Rallye that I could buy outright with the insurance payout and not have to find any extra money for.

I wanted either a P1 or Rallye as they would be the already slightly lighter cars on which my project would be based (I was informed at the time that P1's were infact lighter then Rallye's)

Now, Steve (Sarthe) knew at the time that I was in the market for a P1, and was infact thinking of selling his one on, so dropped me a PM to that effect.
A few weeks later, near the end of August I think, and I was the proud (3rd!) owner of this little beastie!!

The first owner had had it for an astonishing 11 years I believe.

As soon as I was home with the car I couldn't resist starting work on it, so promply ripped out a fair bit of the interior and started thinning down the wiring to the rear.
I also put my buckets into the car.

I booked onto a last minute trackday with Mike (cspan) and Garry (gazza da man) to snetterton in September before getting anything else done to the car.

That was an interesting comparison. My 114k miles tired suspension, but 6 power Vs Garrys XSI on properly setup AVO coilovers.
His cornering speed was far higher then I could maintain and was willing to go, but my outright power over him meant I was fractionally faster.
Had we gone to a track like Cadwell then I feel it may have been a different story for much of the lap!

Anyway, by lunchtime I had lost nearly all braking power, but I wasn't suprised tbh as I hadn't even looked at the brakes yet, let alone checked how much meat was on the pads.
I changed the pads at lunch. Still crap. Then shortly after bled the brakes. Better, but not by much, but I could atleast get out for the rest of the afternoon (with my back end trying to overtake me everytime I was hard on the brakes)

I got home, and promptly set myself the target of having the brakes and suspension sorted out before a trip to the Nurburgring In November, followed by Oulton park 3 days later.

The sunroof was removed and plated over (although that needs repainting again now as it looks crap!

All 4 calipers were replaced by ones that I had only just refurbed a month before the other car died, so I knew they were all Ok.
Braided hoses were added, new discs, and some nice new CL pads all round Devil

I also sold the old front dampers and springs from the diablo, and bought myself a set of KW V2 coilovers. I had gone for Billy B8's previously as the car was also a daily drive, so had to have some comfort to it. But this car was intended largely for the track, so I thought balls to ride comfort on the road!
As it is, the KW's are not that bad on std settings.

All this was paid for out of the last of my insurance money. So far the car hadn't cost me anything.
That soon changed when I also bought a 30mm ARB off Ash, and a pair of 25mm torsion bars off Birk (I think)

The rear of the diablo was left as std once the billy dampers were on, and although much better, I could feel the need for more from the back end, hence these purchases.

In fitting the ARB and torsion bars, the whole rear beam was dismantled, cleaned, sprayed up and completly refurbished including new seals bearings etc and trailing arm pins. All in, I think the rear beam ended up costing nearly

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 27th May 2009 at 04:48
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Thumbs up

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 26th May 2009 at 04:33
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Was waiting on this thread starting, i should start a thread, but cant be arsed, an all the things i will be doing have already been covered!!

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 26th May 2009 at 05:09
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Have you got some interior pics Farmer?

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 27th May 2009 at 02:33
dhampton

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Looks like a proper track beast. 306 isn't bad either Whistle

Be interested on its weight, should try and find a weighbridge?

Clio 182 FF 306 Rallye (track) 306 Gti-6 Megane R26 Clio 172 Cup (track) 106 Rallye S2 (track) 306 Rallye Saxo VTR 106 Zest2
Posted 27th May 2009 at 02:42
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
monkeyman wrote:
Have you got some interior pics Farmer?

I most certainly do, I will be adding them in the next part of the project thread when I get time to do that part.

Posted 27th May 2009 at 03:25
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
dhampton wrote:
Looks like a proper track beast. 306 isn't bad either Whistle

Be interested on its weight, should try and find a weighbridge?

Yes

I will be getting it weighed before the Pugrun and the Southern RR day, but im optomistic for sub 1000kg's. 930kg's would really make my day as that would give the car 260bhp / tonne including me assuming my engine produces the magical 260 figure that most of the other low boost seem to be kicking out (another reason for wanting to do the RR day)

Posted 27th May 2009 at 03:27
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #8
Lookin good chris... i should do some sort of a project thread but never seem to find the time!Roll eyes

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 27th May 2009 at 03:35
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Lookng good Chris Thumbs up Does this mean im gonna have to steal the car now as the bits are no longer in the shed? Laugh Wink

Just Drive It
Posted 27th May 2009 at 03:58
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
It wouldn't be hard at the moment Tom, its on the drive now as the remaining work that needs doing to it cant be done in the garage really and I have already started to fill the garage with parts for my next project (although its much less exciting; a new kitchen and tiles.) and the rear hatch cant actually be secured shut at the moment.

Mind you, there is no steering wheel or any electrics in the car to move it very far, let alone a seat.

Posted 27th May 2009 at 04:58
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
What have you got wrapped round your inter cooler pipes? is that to join it or is that just to protect it mate??

In my garage just now

& Audi Q5 S Line
Posted 27th May 2009 at 05:16
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
From my thread in general:

SteviePut wrote:
Where did you get that pipe from Chris? It looks like something we used to used on Bi and Tri lobe pumps at my old place. They were used to pump shampoo's and creams out of the the vessels they were made in.

Its probably not far different tbh Steve!

Its from Machine Mart and is the rigid sump pump supply pipe. Its hard as nails to try and squash it, so im hoping it will stand up to the vaccum and pressures subjected to it.

I hadn't mentioned much about it yet as I wanted to give it a good running in on the road to make sure it can stand up to the job before letting everyone else know (and also making myself look like a tit if it doesn't work Roll eyes )

If its no good, then it will do as a temporary measure at the least to get me to a garage that can weld me in some solid ally pipe.

2M of the 2" duct was about

Posted 27th May 2009 at 05:19
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Will be good if it works, im going for solid pipe as once its there thats it im hoping.

In my garage just now

& Audi Q5 S Line
Posted 27th May 2009 at 06:39
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #14
Nice car, mister! Cool Like the pic with the laptop on the engine.. makes it instantly high-tech Big grin

farmer wrote:
I hadn't mentioned much about it yet as I wanted to give it a good running in on the road to make sure it can stand up to the job before letting everyone else know (and also making myself look like a tit if it doesn't work Roll eyes )

Relax, I remember a certain Formula 1 engineer who thought tumble dryer ducting to his induction kit would be OK Ninja

Anyway, I'm liking the ingredients: lightened, we know it handles, now the power to match.. and an owner/operator who knows how to pedal. This should definitely be a Weapon out on track Thumbs up

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 27th May 2009 at 22:45
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Im not sure that laptop really comes under 'high-tech' tbh.
Its about 8 years old and is a Pentium 200, but is ideal to live in the garage to bring FAQ's up on while im working on the car.

Posted 28th May 2009 at 01:21
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Small update:

I anticipated the car having 16mm hubs, and seeing as I have several brand new 16mm balljoints lurking about I hadn't bothered to buy anymore to go on my replacement roller bearing'd wishbones.

Upon removing the wishbones on Sunday I found out that it was infact running 18mm balljoints Doh

Managed to get to ECP today to pick up a new pair of ball joints, only to get home this evening and find the useless prats have sold me 16mm ones after I specifically requested 18mm ones Angry

Have replaced both oil seals now and cleaned up all the back of the gearbox where the oil had sprayed everywhere and made it shitty. If it does start to leak again atleast I should be able to see where its coming from more easily this time.

N/S driveshaft is back in now, but cant do the O/S until I get the group N mount pressed into the housing and get that re-fitted back onto the car (hopefully get that sorted out tomorrow, if I get a chance)

Suppose the wishbones will now have to wait until saturday as I wont get another chance to get to ECP.

Posted 3rd Jun 2009 at 03:36
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
At least yours is making some progress, mines doing my nut in, wont start Sad

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 3rd Jun 2009 at 04:49
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I recognise the hatch which bodes very well for a top track weapon Crf450 if I am not mistaken Thumbs up

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 3rd Jun 2009 at 20:02
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
jcphat wrote:
I recognise the hatch which bodes very well for a top track weapon Crf450 if I am not mistaken Thumbs up

I think you're right Yes

Thought it looked familiar.

Car's coming along nicely mate, will be a weapon when it's done Ninja

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 4th Jun 2009 at 01:09
crf450

Senior User

Post #20
This car looked like a great unmolested example when you bought it,ideal for this type of project,should be a right weapon when finished.
I'd be surprised if it ended up below 1050kgs specially with the charger and associated gubbins.My car weighed 1020kg's but this was with 40ks of fuel which is the minimum I needed to stop fuel starvation.So if you fitted a swirl pot you could save 40kgs.

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 4th Jun 2009 at 02:32
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Ahh Hayward and Scott... The number one choice of the UK Legacy Forum!LOL

Nothing to see here
Posted 4th Jun 2009 at 02:49

Regular

Post #22
Looking good chap! Thumbs up Sigma Love

'The lion goes from strength to strength'
Le Mans winners 2009!
Posted 4th Jun 2009 at 03:25
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Cheers for the comments all.

Swirl pot is on the list of parts for me to pick up if I see one lurking about cheep.

Cant really afford it at the moment, but later on in the year perhaps ill get it sorted.
The car used to get bad fuel starvation as standard with less then about 1/3 full so not too sure how well it will cope now. Dunno

Also, cheers about the weight. Perhaps my 1000kgs target will be harder then I first thought.
Time will tell I guess.

Got the lower mount assembly back on the car tonight with group N mount pressed into it, and that is it for progress today.

No more progress tomorrow night either, will be busy, so hopefully on Friday night it will be back down off the axle stands without a leak. (runs off and touches wood)

Posted 4th Jun 2009 at 04:24
rikky 🦔

Post #24
interesting on the weight. i must get mine weighed, it's had so much removed i have lost track of what's even left

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 4th Jun 2009 at 04:36
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
You even got the PAS and ABS left in yours Rich?

Posted 5th Jun 2009 at 03:20

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 .. last