displaying posts 101 to 125 of 160

Pages (7): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last

Author Subject: XU on R1 Bodies with video
berger

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
Yanni is the man!

Nice work!

Are the bodies going to be almost completely sealed by your airbox so the air is forced through the filter?

Bang'in 7 gram rocks!
I have one gear, GO!
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:50
yanni

Regular

Post #102
Not almost!
There going to be completly sealed inside the airbox and bennefit from the ram effect!!!

Yanni.

Major stock holder of group P.S.A.
I live to pay and support the French industry.
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:54
andy-goodwin

Regular

Post #103
Bumpage!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 06:45
yanni

Regular

Post #104
Airbox is now finnished pending trumpets......
RR due to Thursday at 11:00pm.

Just a teaser or two.....Roll eyes

Yanni.Cool

Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 13:24
apayne100

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
wow nice looking job there mate,airbox is fappin lovely.
I suggest you take that fag in the pic and smoke itLOL matey as youve done a hell of a lot of workThumbs up

The 6 is complete for fun, stress free driving now…..yeah rightSheep!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 15:08
yanni

Regular

Post #106
Thanks mate will do that!
Smoke Smoke Smoke Smoke Smoke Smoke Smoke

Yanni LOL

Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 15:32
yanni

Regular

Post #107
And a few more from today....
The car now is 100% drivable so tomorow off it goes for a engine bay clean up.

Yanni.

Posted 20th Jul 2009 at 04:42
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #108
videos, yanni videos!!! lol
Posted 20th Jul 2009 at 06:47
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #109
i wanna hear the noise full chat Smoke
Posted 20th Jul 2009 at 07:12
ken

Senior User

Post #110
mate that looks awsome!

i take it thats better than had the trumpets and long air filts exposed??

good figures aswell mate!

Team Black Rallye Big grin
xbox live - Xx 7 kenny 7 xX

Posted 21st Jul 2009 at 07:10
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #111
Hey Yanni what did you end up doing with the fuel regulator? ar you running 3.8 - 3.9 bar and has this fixed the issues?

Be very interested to see a vid of the car now.

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
BMW 320 td compact M-sport
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 22nd Jul 2009 at 17:50
yanni

Regular

Post #112
I can now say that my project is finished!!!

The airbox is now done and my last trip to the programer ended with no alterations. The engine light is now off and it wont go on again unless there is a good reason idle is rock solid and fuel pressure is set at 3.94 bars. I got away with the remap as after some 100km of driving the ECU has by now found its way around the new setup and works its magicBig grin

On my way home i did a stop to replace the old back box that was rattling like a horny snake on a desered and also replaced the midle one as it was on its way. Diameter stayed the same at 2.5in but i took the liberty of changing the tailpipe to a fanky diesel kind of style and replaced the VTS markings on the side with some 1.4i ones. I like to conffuse people.

Specific power is still unknown and to be honnest i dont really care. Numbers dont do justise as the big difference is in the way it drives now. The engine feels and infact is a lot more free to rev up. It starts and runs with greater ease than before but where the old one was working its way through to 4000rpm now it can't contain its self. From 2800rpm it revs with no hasitation AT all and the noise is more than enough to scare anaware drivers. Only downside is that it drinks more fuel now but hey you can have everything. To me it doesnt matter if its 227hp or 250hp the tranformation is complete and i can call it amaizing.

If you are handy with tools and you have the time do it. This is a pure race engine and it needs to breath free. I know its not a SC one but for an N/A engine it worth every single penny i have spend so far.

And to answer to some mails i got: in order to give you presise info i need to take some more photos of my setup that i dont have right now. Will take them tommorow and continue this threat with the answers you need (i have the day off so).

Yanni Wink

Posted 29th Jul 2009 at 04:53
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #113
good stuff then yanni Smile
i know its all running fine now but would there be any benefits from remappin the ECU?

videos man videos lol Razz
Posted 29th Jul 2009 at 05:11
yanni

Regular

Post #114
Answers answers answers....

Some of you needed some info on the TPS and the blades on the R1 bodies so here we go.

First lets talk about the TPS.

The XU engines uses a Bosch TPS that is located under the body on the inlet and out of sight.

Main and most important difference is that where the R1 TPS rotates clocwise the XU one rotates the other way around. And the R1 TPS has a round axle that secures it place with two small metal balls where the XU has a cutoff on one side (blue arrows).
Now these two differences seems to do things impossible but believe me its not. Both are secured in place on the body with two screws (red arrows).

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3 XU axle cutoff.

XU / R1 TPS

So how to fit your XU TPS.

First to say that to use the XU TPS you need to rotate it 180 degrees.

In order to do so you need to cut a hole on the other side of the TPS. Its not the end of the world as the cover is made out of very soft matterial and has no wirring. So you can do that with a sharp knife. Make a nice round cut wide enough to see the rotating part of the TPS on the inside.

Now comes the tricky part.

Cutting the axle.

*IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO DO THAT PART RIGHT*

So from what i will wright now do the same and that is "meassure 10 times before you cut you can do it only once" if you do it wrong then your idle will be high and rough and a b@!ch to fix plus you will need another set of bodies.
Dont say i didn't tell you. Whistle

To start the good thing is that the R1 axle has the same diameter as the XU one.

Now go on grab that Dremel of yours and get ready to cut some steel.
You will have to remove enough matterial so the TPS can slide in to the axle.

Remove litle matterial at a time in a vertical line at 90 deegres (blue line) relative to the two mounting holes (pic above red arrows) until the TPS can slide in firmly (you dont want any play at all).

You can now use the upper hole with a cylindrical spacer to screw the TPS it lines up perfectly and fabricate from 2mm steel or alluminium sheet a bracket to screw the second lower part in place. Dont over tight it as you need a some free play otherwise the trottle will feel sticky.

Before you fit the TPS in its finnal position use the green "O" ring from the other side with some gasket sillicone on both sides to ensure that once in place its watertight. It works a treat trust me!!!

By now you should be looking at very much this.

If happy with it find a cap and again with some black sillicone use it to cover the exposed side.

Your done now......

Part two.

THE BLADES...

Open the black caps by removing the two screws and remove everything from inside. That is the spring the rubber diafragm and the blade. Fill the hole with sillicon from underneath. Now on the incide of the body use some metal resin to fill the remaining gap and the blade sliders. Once the resin is hard sand it down to a nice smooth finnish and thats it.

*Tip of the day*

Just in front of the butterflies there are two very small holes. Fill these to with the resin you make as i found the hard way they do suck air and spoil the idle. It took me some time to figure that out but now it's fine.

If you do everything right the engine will start and run first time with a nice and smooth idle.
The only thing you will need now its a remap and there you go all nicelly done Roll eyes

Some asked me if there is any gain with a remap on my setup. No there isn't my car runs on the late multyplex engine ECU and the tolerenses on that is far greater than the early style. Thos can adjust its function up to 25% of the factory settings so once the fuel pressure is requlated it will take only a reset and some driving to find its way.

I have done by now more or less 400km and the engine is amaizing. Emmitions are fine so does the engine light that was on all the time.
Only downside is fuel consumtion went up but you can't have everything.

Hope it helps.

Yanni Thumbs up

I am NOT responsible if you F@#ck up something!!! This is what i have done so far and it works!!!
"IF YOU DONT HAVE THE SCILLS LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT FOR YOU OR DONT DO IT AT ALL"
You have been warned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 30th Jul 2009 at 03:59
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #115
not 100% here, but you could have just swapped the wires over on the TPS...

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Jul 2009 at 04:10
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #116
Would the ECU be able to read the TPS from the R1? surely it would be different to the pug one?

You said that you are running 3.9 bar of pressure for the fuel. was this just throught changing the pressure regulator or did you have to change the fuel pump?

Oh and thanks Yanni excellent work top job!

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 30th Jul 2009 at 05:08
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #117
Yes, you can just reverse the wires rather than flip the sensor over Yes

I swear there was a good reason for Yanni doing things this way though Yes

Yanni - congratulations on completing your project Cool

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 30th Jul 2009 at 05:33
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #118
Well done Yanni, its been interesting watching this progress over the last few weeks Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 30th Jul 2009 at 05:55
yanni

Regular

Post #119
Swaping the wires over is a bit of a NO NO No No as the R1 has a different resistance than the XU one. Mind you what we are doing here has to do with the OEM ECU!!! The OEM ECU can't read other than its own TPS!!! If you go down the aftermarket ECU route then yes you can as the programer will wright the map to read the new TPS resistance so the ECU will know when the throttle is open, part open or closed and in what angle.

And YES to Mr Rich_w in theory you can reverse the wires on the TPS BUT as mentioned before not in the this setup and there is a very very good reason. The problem is that the R1 rotates clocwise when you press the throttle rather than unticlockwise on the original XU setup. So if you fit the TPS the way it is and save your self the time it wont turn when you press the trottle as it will be on its stop. The only other solution was to fit it on the other side of the bodies but there is no axle to work on so it's not possible.

Hope it helps once more.

OH and by the way Mr Richard many many thanks for the trumpets got them two days ago and now there on the car!!! Your litle box is on its way.....

Yanni. Thumbs up

Posted 30th Jul 2009 at 14:29
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #120
I have a few questions too.

Do you not think the 306 ECU's (earlier type) will be capable of running this set up then but on an internally standard engine? If not, can you fit the later Xsara ECU to the 306?

Also, what is the Xsara standard fuel pressure? same as the 306 or is it 3.5bar?

This is something i would really like to do to mine but im having 2nd thoughts on the ECU compatability of my phase 2.5!

BTW, great work Yanni, i starting following this thread before i even signed up to the site and have checked it regularly for updates. fair play!
Posted 30th Jul 2009 at 19:06
yanni

Regular

Post #121
Hello again from the very hot Greece.

All ph1 Xsaras run on 2.0bar fuel pressure. On the Phase 2 though there was a step up with the multiplex BSI and the multyplug ECU that also changed things a bit. The three plugs on the thermostat housing became a single one and the fuel pressure regulator from 2.0 bars went up to 2.5bars.

Now as for changing form the early type ECU to the late one i will say it is impossible!!! In order to make the late ECU to work you need the complete loom of a car and when i say the complete loom i mean all of it!!! My car is a phase 1 Xsara with the XU10J4RS engine. When i bought it last summer it had 160.000km on the clock! I had to strip the car down to bear metal and fit the loom of a late 2003 Xsara that i had in hand just because the engine on that had 36.000 jenuine km and that include changing the locks the dash and basically everything that has wires!!!

To make things clear i dont say that running on multyplex BSI is a good thing OK? The late ECU runs a faster proccesor and form the factory it has a very neat self learning feature bild in. That gives the ECU the ability to learn and adapt its function agording to many parameters even if these change dramaticaly like the fitment of throttle bodies. It also has a self protect program that if for example the engine runs out of oil or water it will kill the power and stop the engine before things go really wrong. I tested and its impresive i can sayLOL

To return to the topic on my setup the ECU runs on its limits so more power needs another ECU.

The good things.
The ECU that all the 306 use on the other hand are very good with remaps (the early type).

I have to give and will always give great credit to MR Rich_W for inspiring what i did and in what way.

If you can desighn from scrach a SC conversion that runs over 500hp on the standard ECU simply by changing the chip in it i dont see why you can do the same with bodies??? Any good programer can do it for you and i believe there a few people here that can help you on that only if like Rich keep all the sencors and wiring of the original engine intact.

So i wish i had an early type ECU on my engine but....

Once more hope it helps.

From Greece Yanni Cool

Posted 31st Jul 2009 at 03:44
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #122
Sorry Yanni im a bit confused. So unless you have a phase 3 git 6 this converstion wont be possible on the standard ECU?

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 31st Jul 2009 at 04:11
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #123
not even the phase 3 gti was multiplex.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st Jul 2009 at 04:17
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #124
So this conversion will only work on the xsara? God electrics confuse me!

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 31st Jul 2009 at 04:24
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #125
Thanks for that Yanni.

So who is going to try this with the older type ECU then? or am i going to have to go at it, i have a manifold lined up to buy, i need a set of bodies though, plus everything else, and money! Donations welcomeBig grin
Posted 31st Jul 2009 at 04:43

Pages (7): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last