Author Subject: handbrake, new Calipers
jose

Senior User

Post #1
Replaced the calipers

Nile Blue GTi6

Alpine White 205 GTi 1.9 - Project

Air Con Pipes Thread.......

Machine Polishing - Paint Correction - Swirl Removal in West London - PM for details
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 20:10
tubbyrutter

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Get drums, my disks have always been shite at the rear.

Renault Megane Renaultsport 230 F1 Team R26 Blink
Posted 17th Apr 2009 at 17:21
nay

Regular

Post #3
I had this problem and sorted it last week! Thumbs up

Basically at the back of the (rear) caliper is a rubber sheath/cover, if you pull this back you can see the mechanism that pulls the handbrake cable - Its covered in grease, or at least should be, the rubber cover is there to stop dirt getting in and keep the grease in.

The grease on mine had dried out and gone hard, so the cable wasn't pulling the mechanism, so I gave it a good clean with degreaser, hot soapy water, WD40... anything I could lay my hands on really.
Then I just kept working the little lug that the cable end locks into untill it was nice and free (with the handbrake off)... regreased it, put the cover back on and Voila! the handbrake works perfectly... like new, I couldn't believe it, it's the best it's ever been in the last 4 ½ years of owning the car.

So it's defo worth a try!
Posted 20th Apr 2009 at 01:44