displaying posts 26 to 50 of 170

Pages (7): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: Engine overhaul!
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
rallyestyle wrote:
Looks like a tidy rebuild you got going there buddy Thumbs up

Where abouts in London are you based if you dont mind me asking?

cheers dude. don't mind you asking. i'm in west london - southall. between ealing and hounslow and 15 minute drive from heathrow airport Smile

Deepak Gohil

Posted 13th Apr 2009 at 16:20
rich-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Nice read so far mate good stuff Thumbs up Engines always fascinate me when their in bits Laugh

Cool

RIP Pete Sims
Posted 13th Apr 2009 at 17:40
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #28
Coming along very well mate, are you going to fettle anything as you have it all apart, or are you putting it back together standard?

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 13th Apr 2009 at 18:47
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
hiya guys, i've stopped for the day. didn't really get a lot done - was helping a friend with his car. everything's apart from the gearbox and engine bay has been cleaned up now. just waiting on parts.

Deepak Gohil

Posted 14th Apr 2009 at 00:08
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
rich-6 wrote:
Nice read so far mate good stuff Thumbs up Engines always fascinate me when their in bits Laugh

yeah it's always good to get an engine down to it's internals. i love putting them back nice and clean with new parts on them! LOL

Deepak Gohil

Posted 14th Apr 2009 at 00:09
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
daveyboy wrote:
Coming along very well mate, are you going to fettle anything as you have it all apart, or are you putting it back together standard?

cheers man. i'm not really going to mess about with anything - i like keeping things standard tbh. i just want it running sweet and clean Happy

Deepak Gohil

Posted 14th Apr 2009 at 00:19
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
this is for chris with a pug (engine oil!) -

Deepak Gohil

Posted 14th Apr 2009 at 00:20
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
nice clean seats Smile

right, rebuilding the head... i have my own way which i was taught by a proper old school mechanic of rebuiling cylinder heads, and some stuff i do might seem unorthodox to some, but it's how i learnt.

first of all i soaked the valves in a petrol and diesel mix, to loosen the carbon. then each valve was placed with minimal grip into the chuck of a drill. using fine emery cloth - p280 - i spun the valve up and removed the carbon by holding the emery to it. and as you all can see the results are proper good Big grin also using a drill shows you whether the stems are bent or not. if they're bent, the valve will try and throw itself out or vibrate when it's being spun at high RPM. mine spun nice and true with no vibrationsBig grin

i replaced the the valve stem seals with a deep 10mm socket, small hammer and some grease. the grease just made sure the seal stayed in the socket as i located it onto the guide. they were put on gently but firmly, making sure each one made a nice metallic clank when hit showing the seal was all the way down Smile

i lapped them in with a combination of hand and drill. the exhaust valves were badly pitted and required about 10 minutes each to lap in. using the drill here saved a lot of time. when doing this, i use a lot of oil along the stem - this prevents wear to the stem when the valve is being spun up by the drill. also it ensure that the valve will move freely once the engine starts. i know the car will blow some blue smoke because of this but it'll only be for a couple of seconds. once there were nice silver rings around the valve head, the job was done - and hopefully there will be compression! Happy

putting the springs back was quite easy. some people i used to work with used to struggle with the collets. but it took me just over half hour to get all 16 valves securely in! not to boast or anything Razz

Deepak Gohil

Posted 26th Apr 2009 at 22:09
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
the head - finished! Big grin

Deepak Gohil

Posted 14th Apr 2009 at 00:23
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
the one on the right is the cylinder that was burning water. i deglazed it but it still seems a little rough compared to the other (which i also deglazed). i'm gonna line it with a tiny bit of oil when the piston's back in so when it burns it the rough edge is taken away...

deglazing was a bit a pain. the cylinder that was burning water was really rough. so i took a medium grit to it first - 180 - followed by a fine grit - 220.

for the other cylinders i just used the fine grit as they weren't that bad.

keeping the cross-hatch design was a bit of a challenge. but i managed to get a nice pattern on the cylinders. keeping the deglazing tool from hitting the oil sprayers at the bottom was harder! no damage though Smile

Deepak Gohil

Posted 26th Apr 2009 at 21:59
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
p.s - i've got loads of pics of boring bits too, like tidying up the wiring and sorage pics. i'm just posting the more interesting things! if anyone does want to see anything let me know and i'll get it up! Smile

Deepak Gohil

Posted 14th Apr 2009 at 00:53
black_6_stirling

Senior User

Post #37
Looks good,I wish I had the space for doing my own work,my local garage gets a fortune off me.Running a 6 could be alot cheaper with a garage like that and the will to have ago.

Keep it up and post some of those boring picsLOL We love car pics

This is the video that made me want a 6

The 6is gone Cry
Posted 15th Apr 2009 at 03:46
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
^^ cheers mate, having my own space saves me loads of money and lets me feed my addiction of working on cars!

i'm still waiting on parts and i'm actually at my girlfriends in Leicester, so i'm gonna post more pics this friday or saturday... including those boring ones! Big grin

Deepak Gohil

Posted 15th Apr 2009 at 18:55
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
720puggti wrote:
rallyestyle wrote:
Looks like a tidy rebuild you got going there buddy Thumbs up

Where abouts in London are you based if you dont mind me asking?

cheers dude. don't mind you asking. i'm in west london - southall. between ealing and hounslow and 15 minute drive from heathrow airport Smile

Would love a space like that to work on my Rallye, i guess im fortunate enough just to have an offroad space!

Im based in South London not far from Sutton, i work next to Paddington station though so thats not a million miles from you. Will be doing an engine rebuild myself towards the end of this year/beginning of next year so am keen to see how you get on and what you think of any companies used Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Apr 2009 at 21:11
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
720puggti wrote:
p.s - i've got loads of pics of boring bits too, like tidying up the wiring and sorage pics. i'm just posting the more interesting things! if anyone does want to see anything let me know and i'll get it up! Smile

Great post. I am planning to buy a dead engine just to get the confidence to take it apart and learn a bit about these engines. I would like to see everything Big grin
Posted 15th Apr 2009 at 22:08
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
this is all on hold now, i've had the worst news. written about it in the general section.

Deepak Gohil

Posted 16th Apr 2009 at 20:18
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
hello good folk! i've added a few write ups to the pics for those who are interested. more pics on the way as well. just sorting this photo buket stuff out! i hope you al enjoy what i've written Smile

Deepak Gohil

Posted 26th Apr 2009 at 22:00
dan gti-6

Regular

Post #43

Little tip, dont p*ss about with a greased socket trying to fit stem seals.

Fit the valve, push it shut then push the seal over the valve stems with your hands. Make sure you push the seals past the collet grooves. Then drop the valve down and push the seals on with a socket. Much easier that messing around with grease, you cant drop any seals this way!

30 minutes to fit the collets!!! I'd get the sack, 5 minutes max!
Posted 27th Apr 2009 at 01:15
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
dan gti-6 wrote:

Little tip, dont p*ss about with a greased socket trying to fit stem seals.

Fit the valve, push it shut then push the seal over the valve stems with your hands. Make sure you push the seals past the collet grooves. Then drop the valve down and push the seals on with a socket. Much easier that messing around with grease, you cant drop any seals this way!

30 minutes to fit the collets!!! I'd get the sack, 5 minutes max!

hiya mate, thanks for the advice, but i prefer my method Happy i wasn't p*ssing about with the grease, just used a touch and put them all on quite quickly!

as for collets in 5 mins... well you must be a pro Wink i thought i'd done them quite quickly... i remember others farting around for ages with them. oh well Smile

Deepak Gohil

Posted 27th Apr 2009 at 01:23
dan gti-6

Regular

Post #45

Well you become a demon collet fitter when you rebuild 20+ heads a weekLOL
Posted 27th Apr 2009 at 01:40
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
right! hello guys and gals! this project is back on!

i've now got all the equipment i need to at least put the block back together this weekend Big grin thought i'd give you all a heads up, there should be photos tomorrow (or sunday) for everyone to see how it's all coming along! i hope no-ones lost interest Wink

Deepak Gohil

Posted 29th May 2009 at 23:54
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
so i started putting the pistons back yesterday and hid a massive brick wall! i put the rings on and put pistons back into their cylinders. made sure everything was right ie pistons the right way and in the correct bore etc but i went to torque the big end up and it became really tight (even at only 20Nm) so tight infact the crank would seize and wouldn't turn unless the big engs were loose. after some inspecting and testing i realised, although i had the right part from peugeot, the bearing shells were slightly oversized!!!!! i couldn't believe it. i guess it back to the stealers to plead my case and try and get something done about it! p.s i have some photos i'll upload later tonight Smile

Deepak Gohil

Posted 1st Jun 2009 at 01:14
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
i've finally pulled my finger out and uploaded some photos! enjoy people Big grin

Deepak Gohil

Posted 2nd Jun 2009 at 00:34
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
painted the cylinder block using hammerite - i love the way it comes out, nice and clean and subtle Smile

Deepak Gohil

Posted 2nd Jun 2009 at 00:35
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
nice n shiny!! i cleaned the pisons using a mild acidic floor cleaner and some scotchbright, the carbon and gunk practically fell off!

here's another
p.s they've got the new piston rings on too

Deepak Gohil

Posted 2nd Jun 2009 at 00:37

Pages (7): 1 [2] 3 .. last