displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Oil pressure gauge - S16
ballys16

Regular

Post #1
Hello Everyone,
My dear old XSi -> S16 oil pressure sometimes simply plays up and goes haywire.
It will give a reading of below 0 bars, sometimes travel up and down, and for most of the time displays pressure correctly and steadily.
I do not think that the pressure is low when the gauge says so - stop light doesn't come on, nor does the oil pressure warning light, the engine doesn't sound different etc.
The sender unit was replaced earlier, because that was thought to be the issue. Well, no - same thing with the new one.
Might be worth noting that the cluster is off my XSi, so its not an S16 cluster.
Any ideas? I will of course get an oil pressure test done - just to be on the safe side.

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 1st Apr 2009 at 00:32
aj16v

Junior User

Post #2
im having the exact same thing happening with my s16 in my zx,i was going to change the pump thinking that it was sticking or broke,the thing with mine is that sometimes the oil light does come on and i think the engine sounds and feels different,also loses power!does the pressure drop only when the engine gets warmer?i had a word with a citroen mechanic and he said there could be an airline crack on the engine which expands as the engine heats up thus loses pressure!

155bhp...need to get more out of the 16v!
Posted 1st Apr 2009 at 19:53
rikky 🦔

Post #3
i had this but new sensor cured it. my clocks are also xsi clocks but they had the oil pressure anyway

it might be the wiring broke up, mine looked a bit fragile tbh

you could always get another gauge for peace of mind.. they just connect to the filter outlet with a little union.. loads of aftermarket ones on ebay and the like ['swoosh' ones are good]

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st Apr 2009 at 19:56
aj16v

Junior User

Post #4
rikky,was it the oil pressure sensor?which gauge do you mean?would be interested to change it cheers

Posted 1st Apr 2009 at 20:04
rikky 🦔

Post #5
yes it was the pressure sensor

if you do a search on ebay you can find gauges for basically any car, they just fit seperately, more as a way of bypassing the standard one..

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st Apr 2009 at 20:08
aj16v

Junior User

Post #6
just had a look on ebay and it says that it fits on before the oil filter???do you have to modifie other parts then?soz for the tons of questions

Posted 1st Apr 2009 at 20:31
rikky 🦔

Post #7
no.. basically a thin plate goes behind the oil filter, so that oil will pass through the plate you have added. you have a little outlet there where your gauge will pick up pressure from so it is picking it up regardless of your other sensor

i never added one but they are very common, people use them on cars that don't have pressure sensors and track cars with custom dials etc

Posted 1st Apr 2009 at 20:34
aj16v

Junior User

Post #8
turns out i was looking at the wrong thing,adapter!

Posted 1st Apr 2009 at 20:34
ballys16

Regular

Post #9
rikky wrote:
i had this but new sensor cured it. my clocks are also xsi clocks but they had the oil pressure anyway

you could always get another gauge for peace of mind.. they just connect to the filter outlet with a little union.. loads of aftermarket ones on ebay and the like ['swoosh' ones are good]

Thanks!
Fragile doesn't half describe how the thing looks Wink
I think I will go with rewiring - less holes on the dash Smile
As for peace of mind - I hope that the STOP and/or oil pressure warning light not coming on will be enough. And yes, they do work as far as I can tell: they light up before starting the car up.

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 1st Apr 2009 at 20:41
ballys16

Regular

Post #10
ballys16 wrote:
rikky wrote:

Thanks!
As for peace of mind - I hope that the STOP and/or oil pressure warning light not coming on will be enough. And yes, they do work as far as I can tell: they light up before starting the car up.

Had the oil pressure tested - verdict was it is fine.
Ah well. Need to rewire Sad

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 10th Apr 2009 at 01:15
ballys16

Regular

Post #11
ballys16 wrote:
ballys16 wrote:
rikky wrote:

Thanks!

Had the oil pressure tested - verdict was it is fine.
Ah well. Need to rewire Sad

It turned out to be a loose dash connector only.
The dash lost its brackets holding the connector tight...

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 5th Mar 2010 at 02:59